Wednesday, January 11, 2012

January 11th - Reflection


John 1:29-34 (NRSV)
John's account of Jesus' baptism
The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him and declared, "Here is the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! This is he of whom I said, 'After me comes a man who ranks ahead of me because he was before me.' I myself did not know him; but I came baptizing with water for this reason, that he might be revealed to Israel." And John testified, "I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it remained on him. I myself did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water said to me, 'He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain is the one who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.' And I myself have seen and have testified that this is the Son of God."


Reflection
John saw it! John saw the Spirit descend like a dove on Jesus. John had the wonderful privilege of baptizing Jesus. And when he did, John knew this was the Son of God.

As we arise day by day, we too have been granted new life in and through our baptism. We receive the opportunity to live another day with the Holy Spirit to lead and guide us. Does anyone see this? It's a privilege for you and me to have another day, here in this place, to live out the love that God has given to us. It's a privilege for you and me to have another day, to show our friends and neighbors what we have seen in the Son of God.

Our baptism is a gift and a privilege to live life.

Prayer
Lord, show me how to live my baptism... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: