Friday, March 09, 2012

Good Gifts - Nancy Net

Mark 1:16-20 (New Revised Standard)

16 As Jesus passed along the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the sea—for they were fishermen. 17 And Jesus said to them, "Follow me and I will make you fish for people." 18 And immediately they left their nets and followed him. 19 As he went a little farther, he saw James son of Zebedee and his brother John, who were in their boat mending the nets. 20 Immediately he called them; and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men, and followed him.

Reflection
Yoo hoo! Over here. Come on over here. Someone is calling your name. Just get up and go. Leave where you are and what you are doing and come on over here. It's better over here anyway. You get to meet me! Yoo hoo! Over here. Come and see me. I have some good news for you. I can give you protection too. Come over here!

Years ago there were these fellas that used nets to catch fish. They were pros at this thing. They would cast those nets into the sea and draw in fish good enough to feed so many people. They made a living doing this. Fish is some good eatin' so I've been told. One day while these guys was casting their nets a man named Jesus came by with his own kind of net. Jesus asked them to pack it up and follow him. Jesus had some nets that would catch people.

There are all kinds of nets, nets for fish, butterflies, hair, volleyballs, tennis, and me, a mosquito net. Nets come in almost all shapes and sizes. I'm used for preventing mosquitoes from getting to people. The mosquitoes bite the people and the people get sick and die. It's a horrible thing. It's a job I just love to do, because the mosquitoes can't hurt me and I give people life. Especially the young ones. I like to watch those little babies and get them to give me a smile every once in a while. Now that smile can make your day.

People need nets badly in some areas because of the mosquitoes. Hey! I have an idea that I'm sure Jesus would love. He talked about fishing for people, well on one side of me is people and the other side of me are those nasty mosquitoes. This thing called Good Gifts allows you to give money so those mosquito nets can be made for people that need them to live. You give the money and together we will fish for people! Sometimes I amaze myself. But, I'm not the first to think of this whole thing.

I think that's what Jesus meant. When Jesus catches the people in the net on the inside is love and life and on the outside are all those things that bring death and sin. This new net we get can show the love of Jesus on the inside and keep the mosquitoes of death on the outside and we can give those little babies a goofy face and raspberries too for a laugh or two. How about it?

Don't waste any time. Get up and go give just like those guys called disciples years ago. You are disciples today so go. Get with it!

Your protective friend,
Nancy Net

Prayer

Jesus, wrap us and all you give to us this day tightly in your net of love and grace that we all my bring joy and new life to your Kingdom. --- Amen

www.elca.org/goodgifts

No comments: