Saturday, March 17, 2012

March 17th Refelction by Bill Lynch


Psalm 107:1-3, 17-22 (NRSV)
God delivers from distress
O give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;
for his steadfast love endures forever.
Let the redeemed of the Lord say so,
those he redeemed from trouble
and gathered in from the lands,
from the east and from the west,
from the north and from the south. ...

Some were sick through their sinful ways,
and because of their iniquities endured affliction;
they loathed any kind of food,

and they drew near to the gates of death.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,
and he saved them from their distress;
he sent out his word and healed them,
and delivered them from destruction.
Let them thank the Lord for his steadfast love,
for his wonderful works to humankind.
And let them offer thanksgiving sacrifices,
and tell of his deeds with songs of joy.

Reflection
One has to wonder sometimes, why me? Why did God choose to rescue me from my sin and selfishness? Why did God come to me and call me? What does God want with me when so many others are out there so much better than me?

But, as you take an honest look at the words of the Bible, you see that God has come to the sick, the poor, the sinful and the needy and called, gathered and enlightened them with the Holy Spirit and used them for God's work. It truly is God's work our hands as expressed so many times. Here is the mystery of many of the passages this week revealed. Through the loving actions of God in Jesus Christ, we have been called, sinful though we are, to respond to God. The Holy Spirit builds our faith and we soon believe in what Jesus has done for us and are in Christ.

Having sought our own redemption and failed, we turn to Jesus sinful people that we are, humbled in our sin and weakness, Jesus takes us in and gives us the promise of resurrection in and through what he has already done.

Psalm 107 is often referred to as the Song of the Redeemed. God's love endures our sin. God's love is steadfast and true. God has become our next of kin (ga'al) in relationship and has taken us in to be his, forever. Through our sickness and sin, God in Jesus has rescued us and God in the Holy Spirit sustains us and delivers us. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, you did it... you did what I couldn't even come close to... you did it and I give you my life... my love... my heart... my hands. Use me this day to love those you give to me and proclaim the glory of all you do for all your people... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen 

No comments: