Wednesday, October 17, 2012

October 17th Reflection by Bill Lynch



Hebrews 5:1-10

Every high priest chosen from among mortals is put in charge of things pertaining to God on their behalf, to offer gifts and sacrifices for sins. He is able to deal gently with the ignorant and wayward, since he himself is subject to weakness; and because of this he must offer sacrifice for his own sins as well as for those of the people. And one does not presume to take this honour, but takes it only when called by God, just as Aaron was.

 So also Christ did not glorify himself in becoming a high priest, but was appointed by the one who said to him,
‘You are my Son,
   today I have begotten you’;
as he says also in another place,
‘You are a priest for ever,
   according to the order of Melchizedek.’

 In the days of his flesh, Jesus offered up prayers and supplications, with loud cries and tears, to the one who was able to save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission. Although he was a Son, he learned obedience through what he suffered; and having been made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him, having been designated by God a high priest according to the order of Melchizedek.

Reflection
Do you ever notice how dogs are completely comfortable living in their own skin. A dog seems to always be a dog. In this comfort of living fully in the flesh, the dog is free to love in unique and wonderful ways that only that particular dog could live. The dog's I've had have all been unique in their love for me. They live from who they are and where they are. What if the world were full of humans that lived fully in their own flesh? Free to love one another in each one's own unique way.

The High Priest is appointed for the people of the day to bring the offerings to God and deal with the sins of the people. The High Priest is chosen among the people and needs to be able to know the weaknesses and failures of the people, the priest needs to know the sins.

Sounds like Jesus to me now. Jesus goes before God with my sins and represents me in the flesh. The Father sent Jesus as God in flesh to represent me and take on my sin in order to offer prayers, supplications, loud cries and tears to save me from the death and damnation that I justly deserve.

Jesus lived in the flesh. Jesus lived fully in the flesh. Jesus knows me. Jesus knows every inch of me. But, Jesus was perfect. In Jesus' perfection in the flesh and spirit, he enters for me into the holy of holy places before God on my behalf. Jesus is the only one in the flesh who need do this now because of Jesus' perfection. Jesus is now my eternal High Priest.

In this eternal salvation from Jesus, I learn from Jesus and follow him believing and obedient to God's will and way. This frees me to live my life "fully" in the flesh. I am free to be human to the max! As I live in this flesh of mine, I can live through anything and everything, because I know that Jesus life, ministry, healing, suffering, death, resurrection and ascension was for me to live in eternal salvation. Eternal salvation starting here and now. Eternal salvation while I'm even in the flesh.

As I live my life fully in the flesh, might it be possible that God would work in and through me to reach out to other's in the flesh that they may come to Jesus and know what a fabulous action Jesus took as he lived in the flesh? Might other's begin to believe and see the eternal salvation that we can obtain only through our great High Priest, Jesus. All as we live life fully in the flesh! Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, as I live my life, may I be a testimony of your love and salvation, as I live fully in the flesh. May those you give to me see that you alone are my Great High Priest that they too can come to you and experience that eternal salvation... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: