Friday, October 19, 2012

October 19th Reflection by Bill Lynch



Mark 10:35-45

The Request of James and John

 James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came forward to him and said to him, ‘Teacher, we want you to do for us whatever we ask of you.’ And he said to them, ‘What is it you want me to do for you?’ And they said to him, ‘Grant us to sit, one at your right hand and one at your left, in your glory.’ But Jesus said to them, ‘You do not know what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I drink, or be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?’ They replied, ‘We are able.’ Then Jesus said to them, ‘The cup that I drink you will drink; and with the baptism with which I am baptized, you will be baptized; but to sit at my right hand or at my left is not mine to grant, but it is for those for whom it has been prepared.’

 When the ten heard this, they began to be angry with James and John. So Jesus called them and said to them, ‘You know that among the Gentiles those whom they recognize as their rulers lord it over them, and their great ones are tyrants over them. But it is not so among you; but whoever wishes to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wishes to be first among you must be slave of all. For the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life a ransom for many.’

The Cup
I hated being The Cup at first. When Jesus spoke of me to other people, I felt so bad about what I was and what I represented. Jesus mind and Spirit were filled with the plan that the Father had sent him to fulfill. I was one of the worst parts of that plan. I was all the overwhelming suffering and pain that Jesus was about to endure before the very people he had created years ago.

I hated being The Cup! Jesus' disciple just couldn't see that I was in front of Jesus and themselves also, before anyone would see the glory. These disciples wanted to sit at Jesus right and left. Didn't they realize that a couple of other guys would sit at Jesus right and left first. Well, not exactly sit, but rather hang. The fulfillment of God's plan of salvation for all people passed through The Cup first. The pain and agony of crucifixion on the cross.

But that was then and this is now. Now, as The Cup, I am honored by the love and passion that Jesus showed in the face of suffering and death and the shedding of his blood for the love of the world and all people. After Jesus resurrection, I changed. Sure, I still was part of the pain, suffering and blood shed. But I was also a reminder of salvation and Jesus act and the container of Jesus blood on that precious loving moment that Jesus died to save all people. Salvation and the relationship of God was now both very personal and uniquely corporate. God saved us each and all.

Now this is all remembered by me, The Cup, the container of that awesome blood of Christ. The container that pours forth the contents to all the believers of the world and is multiplied in many ways. Taken in by another container and spread throughout the believers body. As I give up my contents, the blood of Christ goes out into the world in the believers heart and soul to once again be given up in love for another.

What an honor now it is to suffer with Jesus on his left and his right all for the love of the world that all may know of the salvation of God available to each and to all. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, help me to take responsibility for my actions. As I turn to you each day, I think of The Cup and the change that took place. Change me at my very heart and fill me with your blood that I may live my life for you and all you would have me do... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: