Monday, July 29, 2013

July 29th Reflection by Bill Lynch


Ecclesiastes 1:2, 12–14; 2:18–23
Vanity of vanities, says the Teacher, vanity of vanities! All is vanity.

I, the Teacher, when king over Israel in Jerusalem, applied my mind to seek and to search out by wisdom all that is done under heaven; it is an unhappy business that God has given to human beings to be busy with. I saw all the deeds that are done under the sun; and see, all is vanity and a chasing after wind. I hated all my toil in which I had toiled under the sun, seeing that I must leave it to those who come after me —and who knows whether they will be wise or foolish? Yet they will be master of all for which I toiled and used my wisdom under the sun. This also is vanity. So I turned and gave my heart up to despair concerning all the toil of my labors under the sun, because sometimes one who has toiled with wisdom and knowledge and skill must leave all to be enjoyed by another who did not toil for it. This also is vanity and a great evil. What do mortals get from all the toil and strain with which they toil under the sun? For all their days are full of pain, and their work is a vexation; even at night their minds do not rest. This also is vanity.

Reflection
The Teacher here proclaims that all is vanity. But, I think the Teacher proclaims all is vanity for those who have no hope. I think it is implied that the Teacher has some knowledge of this hope and all is not vanity for the Teacher. So, the text continues in the Teacher's explanation of this hope that the Teacher clings to.

As people, we look for some meaning to life. We look for some order in the chaos we see around us. We look to bring and create some sort of peace to our living. Yet our sinfulness has drawn us into this world and captured us. We need a God to rescue us and bring order out of the chaos. We cannot save ourselves or order this world in the ways that we would wish to order it on our own and with our own will and way. We need God.

As we live our lives we grab for the riches and pleasures of life. We seek wisdom and knowledge and culture of living in community one with another. We are drawn towards peace with one another. Yet we fight and war for our own way of thinking or living. We live in a conflict of peace and war. As we reflect on this struggle it is all useless in some ways. The fight we live in our lives and the actions we take seem futile.

Our only hope lays outside of ourselves. Our only hope lays in God. Our hope is in the saving life of Jesus, whom God has sent to save us from this futile existence. We cannot save ourselves, but God does save us. God saves us and orders our lives in this chaotic and futile world of sin. God saves us and brings us a promise of God's order in all things. God's order in his love for us and all of his children. God's order in a creation that God created perfect in every way. Perfect in that God also gave a Savior for his lost and sinful children.

Yes, the Teacher claims hold of something besides vanity. Otherwise the Teacher would have nothing further to say in this book of scripture. Listen to the Teacher and hear the message of hope and salvation that lays beneath all of the "vanity of vanities." We have a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord Jesus, without you I would be forever lost. Forever lost in my sin. Forever lost in my greed. Forever lost to the love you give. But you came for me and those just like me. You came to save us from our sinful selves. You came and showed us the love of the Father. You came and pointed us to the guidance of the Spirit. You came and saved us. In your coming I have hope and love and life... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: