Wednesday, July 31, 2013

July 31st Reflection by Bill Lynch


Psalm 49:1–12
Hear this, all you peoples; give ear, all inhabitants of the world,
both low and high, rich and poor together.
My mouth shall speak wisdom; the meditation of my heart shall be understanding.
I will incline my ear to a proverb; I will solve my riddle to the music of the harp.
Why should I fear in times of trouble, when the iniquity of my persecutors surrounds me,
those who trust in their wealth and boast of the abundance of their riches?
Truly, no ransom avails for one’s life, there is no price one can give to God for it.
For the ransom of life is costly, and can never suffice
that one should live on forever and never see the grave.

When we look at the wise, they die; fool and dolt perish together and leave their wealth to others.
Their graves are their homes forever, their dwelling places to all generations, though they named lands their own.
Mortals cannot abide in their pomp; they are like the animals that perish.

Reflection
Life just isn't fair God!
The ones that deserve punishment get away with all the riches.
Those that are greedy get lucky.
What about the rest of us that try our best to do your will?

Only you are all wise and understanding.
Only you, O Lord, know the way of this world.
To your wisdom and understanding I turn.
I listen intently for what you have to say.

In the storms of life I turn to you.
I turn to you in the blessings with a thankful heart.
At all times you are by my side.
Fill me with your will and your way that I may please you.

I won't place my trust in wealth.
Wealth alone will never buy salvation.
Salvation comes from you alone.
And what a great price you paid for my salvation.

Luck or riches won't save me from the grave.
I will face the grave that's for sure.
But I will face the grave with you in front of me.
I will face the grave with the grace of Jesus.

Oh, how you have turned the grave into a joyful place.
For Jesus arose from the tomb.
Jesus granted life from death as the first.
And Jesus granted life from death to those who believe.

In your love and grace I will take my stand.
I trust in you and you alone.
Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
Salvation from you alone.

Prayer
Death levels the playing field for all of us. But you grant eternal life. Not by anything I can do. Not by any payment I can make. But through your loving grace you forgive and save me. You save me and separate me and call me and bless me and send me into life. May I bring pleasure to you each day. May I do your will... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: