Tuesday, July 30, 2013

July 30th Reflection by Bill Lynch


Hosea 11:1–11
When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son. The more I called them, the more they went from me; they kept sacrificing to the Baals, and offering incense to idols. Yet it was I who taught Ephraim to walk, I took them up in my arms; but they did not know that I healed them. I led them with cords of human kindness, with bands of love. I was to them like those who lift infants to their cheeks. I bent down to them and fed them. They shall return to the land of Egypt, and Assyria shall be their king, because they have refused to return to me. The sword rages in their cities, it consumes their oracle-priests, and devours because of their schemes. My people are bent on turning away from me. To the Most High they call, but he does not raise them up at all.

How can I give you up, Ephraim? How can I hand you over, O Israel? How can I make you like Admah? How can I treat you like Zeboiim? My heart recoils within me; my compassion grows warm and tender. I will not execute my fierce anger; I will not again destroy Ephraim; for I am God and no mortal, the Holy One in your midst, and I will not come in wrath. They shall go after the Lord, who roars like a lion; when he roars, his children shall come trembling from the west. They shall come trembling like birds from Egypt, and like doves from the land of Assyria; and I will return them to their homes, says the Lord.

Reflection
This is a passage about a loving father. A father that raises his children, only to have them leave in rebellion. A father that raises and loves his children deeply enough to carry each one through the tough times and teaches his children how to handle the situations of life. Here is a father that sacrifices himself for the children. Here is a father that leads by love and understanding rather than by whips and punishment. A giving loving father.

Yet the children leave for other delights that are set before their eyes. The children fall for the pleasure and lure of a freedom and those that give in the short term. The children ignore the sacrifice of the father and leave to discover the trappings of the evil of this world.

And the father waits in love. The father permits this excursion knowing that his love is a true love. The father knows that he must grant the free will to his children to make choices and to live with those choices. The father knows that his children must learn what he has learned. The father trusts in the love he has given and the love he has been given by God. The father knows that all need the love of God. So the father waits in love as the children grow in understanding.

As we stray from God, our father, God waits upon our return. God is always there loving us and calling us to turn and return to him. Our Father in heaven is not a vengeful God but a God of love and compassion and understanding. God is not mortal with a passion of revenge and punishment for his children when they stray. God is full of love and calls for our return to his loving arms for his guidance and grace.

Prayer
Lord, may I hear your call when I stray. May I see your face and return, seeking your forgiveness and grace. Hear the sorrow and repentance I bring for the sins I have done and for the sins I am not aware of. Forgive me dear Father. Teach me your love that I may be the father that you are to those you give to me... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: