Sunday, January 19, 2014

January 19th Reflection - Water - by Bill Lynch


John 1:29-42
 The next day he saw Jesus coming towards him and declared, ‘Here is the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! This is he of whom I said, “After me comes a man who ranks ahead of me because he was before me.” I myself did not know him; but I came baptizing with water for this reason, that he might be revealed to Israel.’ And John testified, ‘I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it remained on him. I myself did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water said to me, “He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain is the one who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.” And I myself have seen and have testified that this is the Son of God.’
 The next day John again was standing with two of his disciples, and as he watched Jesus walk by, he exclaimed, ‘Look, here is the Lamb of God!’ The two disciples heard him say this, and they followed Jesus. When Jesus turned and saw them following, he said to them, ‘What are you looking for?’ They said to him, ‘Rabbi’ (which translated means Teacher), ‘where are you staying?’ He said to them, ‘Come and see.’ They came and saw where he was staying, and they remained with him that day. It was about four o’clock in the afternoon. One of the two who heard John speak and followed him was Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother. He first found his brother Simon and said to him, ‘We have found the Messiah’ (which is translated Anointed). He brought Simon to Jesus, who looked at him and said, ‘You are Simon son of John. You are to be called Cephas’ (which is translated Peter).

Reflection - Water
I just love the way God created me! I really mean that! I just love how I can take on various forms and shapes and even be shapeless at times. I can take on the shape of whatever is around me or I can take on whatever shape God chooses for me to take. I live on forever. I come and go as God pleases or even as the winds of nature please. I seem to continue to live on forever... at least since the day God created me, I've been on this earth. I love the way God created me!

There was that one special day that I recall more than other days of me ongoing life. That day I was barreling down the Jordan river. I would move to the banks of the river and back to the center, I would go over and around stones and the life in that river was abundant. But, as I approached those men standing in the river, I knew something special was about to occur.

Yes, that day I was in the river and above the river both. I was in the river moving quickly and swiftly towards both men and I was above the river all fluffy and with a vantage point that I could see the whole thing develop before my eyes as I looked down.

So, as I quickly approached the men in the river, I noticed from above the river all of the people standing and watching this event unfold. All of the people on the banks of the river! Some of them preparing to step into the river with this one man named John. Other's were just waiting for a turn to be in the river with John, but a man, yes, even a relative of John named Jesus was in the river with John. I could see all of this from my heavenly vantage point above the river at the same time I was approaching the men from within the river.

John put Jesus into me. John took Jesus and I ran over, around and a little within Jesus. I was all over Jesus as I enveloped him. I was above Jesus, I was around Jesus, I was all over Jesus. It was as if Jesus was buried by me in death. And I really think it was at this moment that I realized that this man named Jesus was so much more than a man. This man named Jesus was taking on the death of all of the people on the banks, all of the people of Israel, yes all of the people on this earth that God had created. I buried Jesus in myself that day and Jesus took on the death of all people. In that one moment Jesus took on the death of the world. That one moment when Jesus was under me. If Jesus had remained under me for too long he surely would have stopped breathing. But Jesus didn't stop breathing that day.

As John raised Jesus from me, I clung to Jesus with all of my might. I ran down his face and clung to Jesus. I stayed in Jesus' hair for as long as I could until I changed into vapor and ascended into the heavens above to be in a different form. The form of myself that could watch this whole thing develop from above. But, for all of my might, I clung to Jesus as long as I could in my liquid form.

And as I clung to Jesus, a dove descended from my vapor form above. A dove of God the Holy Spirit. A dove showing that this Jesus was God. This Jesus was more than just a man. This Jesus was not only the Son of Man this Jesus was the Son of God, in flesh and with all of the people of the world. This Jesus had just taken on the death of the people by going under my liquid form and being buried in me. This Jesus didn't need a baptism as John called it, but this Jesus, this man, this God, chose to be baptized by John. This Jesus, chose to go under the water and die to a new life for all the people and all the sin of this world. This Jesus, did all of this on purpose and for good reason.

This God knew that the people of this world could not be saved by their own actions. The people of this world need salvation. They were destined to die for their sinfulness, but this Jesus, this God, took on that sin that day and died in their place. He died under the water of baptism to be raised to new life for and in the place of these people.

Yes, the people still needed to be baptized. For this Jesus had shown them the gift God had given to them in baptism. These people still needed to believe. For if they do not believe all that they see is man and water and sky. They won't see the life they have been given. A life free from sin. Free from sin, not without sin. Jesus was the one without sin. But Jesus took on the sin of the people and died in that sin for the people that they my live free from the sin. Jesus did all of this and I was there.

And when I realized what had happened... that's where I love the way God created me... you see... I am all over this earth. I shouted with all of my might with a shout of joy for all the people of this world. Yes! Jesus Son of Man, Jesus Son of God, has come to save all creation from sin, death and the devil! Yes, Jesus was under the water in the death of the people's sin but arose to give new life to all! Yes! Jesus is our Savior!

And being who I am... my shout went out from the oceans, from the thunder clouds, from the rivers, from the ponds and the lakes, from the ice packed polar caps, from the snow peaked mountains, from the great waterfalls, from the caves full of hidden steams and rivers, from the sparkling mountain falls, from the plains filled with snow, from the tree branches laden with snow, from the flowers dripping with water, from all over the world my shout went out that the world is alive and a Savior has come to all of us!

And even more... one day... some day... this Jesus will return! I will wrap his feet in my heavenly form and he will come again for all people and his Kingdom will reign... forever and ever and ever!

I love how God created me and I love playing a part in that great moment of baptism of Jesus that great and awesome day! And I look forward to that new new day to come!

Prayer
Lord, may I like all of the forms of water shout out praise and honor and glory to Jesus, my Savior, my Lord, my Messiah... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen


No comments: