Saturday, January 25, 2014

January 22nd - "Error on page" - Reflection by Bill Lynch


Psalm 27:1, 4-9


The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
One thing I asked of the Lord, that will I seek after: to live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to inquire in his temple.
For he will hide me in his shelter in the day of trouble; he will conceal me under the cover of his tent; he will set me high on a rock.
Now my head is lifted up above my enemies all around me, and I will offer in his tent sacrifices with shouts of joy; I will sing and make melody to the Lord.
Hear, O Lord, when I cry aloud, be gracious to me and answer me!
“Come,” my heart says, “seek his face!” Your face, Lord, do I seek.
Do not hide your face from me. Do not turn your servant away in anger, you who have been my help. Do not cast me off, do not forsake me, O God of my salvation!


Reflection - Error on page
The first verse of this Psalm is my confirmation verse. I have been having trouble with my computer the past couple of weeks, but when it comes to having trouble writing my reflections it really bothers me! I know this seems trite but my confirmation verse and some of the remainder of this passage have come into play. Even as I write this reflection (which has taken me days to write!), things just don't work like they used to work just a couple of days ago. The mouse clicks aren't working correctly, the copy and paste is different. The verses that I chose to omit come across with verse numbers. I can't explain any of it!

Has this computer become my enemy? Have I been duped by some old software platform? Has my faithful and long held computer decided that enough is enough? I can't answer any of these questions. What I do know is that all of this simple stuff in the entire realm of life have cause me to take my eyes off of the real deal of writing the reflections in the first place.

"The Lord is the stronghold" - not some electronic gadgetry. The Lord is what I seek, not this irritating software with "Error on page." showing in the lower left hand corner. But maybe, just maybe that little message is telling me something. I live in a life of errors and in a world of sin. I live in a place and time that has faults. I live here but I don't have to stay here forever. I can focus on the Lord as my stronghold.

I seek to live and have a relationship with God. I seek to live in God's household. I seek the beauty of God and understand that this is what is real. Sure, for now I deal with a means of communication that is failing me, but that is only temporary.

There will be a time when I will see the face of God. And of this one thing I can be sure... that God alone supplies the needs of life and supplies them abundantly. So abundantly that I discover the real meaning of it all --- God is my Light --- God is my salvation --- God is my stronghold.

In this I find God's security and presence and beauty and joy and shelter. In God alone!

And once again I can rejoice in my confirmation verse...
The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

Not this darn computer!!!

Prayer
Lord, keep my focus on you and you alone... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: