Saturday, March 08, 2014

March 8th Reflection - In the Wilderness - by Bill Lynch


Matthew 4:1-11
1 Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. 2 He fasted forty days and forty nights, and afterwards he was famished. 3 The tempter came and said to him, "If you are the Son of God, command these stones to become loaves of bread." 4 But he answered, "It is written, "One does not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.' " 5 Then the devil took him to the holy city and placed him on the pinnacle of the temple, 6 saying to him, "If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down; for it is written, "He will command his angels concerning you,' and "On their hands they will bear you up, so that you will not dash your foot against a stone.' " 7 Jesus said to him, "Again it is written, "Do not put the Lord your God to the test.' " 8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor; 9 and he said to him, "All these I will give you, if you will fall down and worship me." 10 Jesus said to him, "Away with you, Satan! for it is written, "Worship the Lord your God, and serve only him.' " 11 Then the devil left him, and suddenly angels came and waited on him.

Reflection - In the Wilderness
So here we have Jesus just after his baptism. Or perhaps likewise we have the Israelites just after having crossed through the waters of the Red Sea or the Sea of Reeds. In both cases we have an act of faith combined with a revelation of God in all power. And in both cases the journey ahead leads each into the wilderness.

Perhaps the wilderness of life, the wilderness of land or maybe even both. But Jesus and the Israelites were led for a long time into the wilderness. And in this wilderness there would be suffering and temptation. For the Israelites, there would be doubt in God, but for Jesus there would be a strong and firm dedication to the will of the Father and the mission that Jesus was called to follow in this place and in this time. A place that is terminal but a time that is eternal. This is the mission that Jesus was called to carry out. In contrast, the Israelites were led in land and promise, but failed the call to obedience to God.

In many ways I have to identify with the Israelites. I have been called in a place and a time. But I fail the obedience of the test and sin. So, knowing of my sin and my failure in the sight of God; I must turn to the obedience and the calling of Jesus. I must learn to follow Jesus and be Jesus disciple. Jesus' long time in the wilderness was a testing of his resolve. And now I know that in my wilderness, I can depend on the presence of Jesus at my side while I wander for a long time in the wilderness.

As I wander through the wilderness, I see bread and wine turned into the saving body and blood of my Savior Jesus. I see the Word of Promise take hold in my inner being and feed me and sustain me for my walk and the temptations that I too must face. I see the water and the oil of my baptism daily letting me die to my sin and likewise daily raising me to knew life in the resurrection of Jesus in my very own life. I see the forgiveness of sin by God at the confession rail. All of this in the wilderness that I walk through in my own situation and stations of life. I also see a Savior that has come through the wilderness for me and for you that we may reach the promised land of everlasting life and everlasting relationship with God my Creator, God my Savior, God my Teacher and God my One and only hope.

In the wilderness I am gifted with the preparation of life eternal and gifted with the chance to focus on my Savior and his will and his way for me as I walk in the darkness of the wilderness and as Jesus leads me towards the new life of crossing that river into eternal life with Jesus in the lead.

In the wilderness, for a long time, Jesus withstood the testing and temptation of the devil. Jesus came out focused on his call and his mission. Likewise in my wilderness I am tested and tempted, but I have Jesus to focus upon who will walk with me, beside me, behind me and in front of me to lead me out of this wilderness. For it's in the wilderness that I learn the trust and hope and faith that I place in Jesus. I need Jesus in the wilderness. Without Jesus in the wilderness I am eternally lost and damned. In the wilderness, I learn the trust, hope and faith that Jesus teaches me all along the way, even while I am tempted to sin, even while I fall to sin, but even while I am being saved by Jesus.

Yes, in the wilderness... I learn... that Jesus is... the Son of God!

This song reminds me of my only hope in the wilderness in which I walk with Jesus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PANiveIKVX0

Prayer
Lord, lead me and guide me through this wilderness. Teach me and feed me and show me how to resist the temptations that are set before me. Forgive me when I fail and restore me to new life... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: