Sunday, April 27, 2014

April 27th Reflection - I want to see Jesus! - by Bill Lynch


John 20:19-31
 When it was evening on that day, the first day of the week, and the doors of the house where the disciples had met were locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, ‘Peace be with you.’ After he said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord. Jesus said to them again, ‘Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.’ When he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, ‘Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.’
 But Thomas (who was called the Twin), one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him, ‘We have seen the Lord.’ But he said to them, ‘Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands, and put my finger in the mark of the nails and my hand in his side, I will not believe.’

 A week later his disciples were again in the house, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were shut, Jesus came and stood among them and said, ‘Peace be with you.’ Then he said to Thomas, ‘Put your finger here and see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it in my side. Do not doubt but believe.’ Thomas answered him, ‘My Lord and my God!’ Jesus said to him, ‘Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have come to believe.’
 Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book. But these are written so that you may come to believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that through believing you may have life in his name.

Reflection - I want to see Jesus!
I love the spirit of Thomas! I love how he wants to see too! Don't we all want to see Jesus after all. This whole label put on Thomas as "doubting" seems unfair to me. I think rather that Thomas was just as excited as anyone else was at the time and just as excited as I am to see Jesus.

Not only to see Jesus in my mind and in my spirit and in my thoughts but also to see Jesus, to touch Jesus, to feel Jesus in the flesh right before my eyes.

I can sit and look at a picture of one of the many trails I love to walk in the Smoky Mountains, but that's not even close to really being there and walking the trail and feeling my heart pound as I go up the trail then taking in the sights at the corners and the bends and the trail destination. Looking at a picture and even just having a memory of something doesn't seem the same as really being there and touching the plants and smelling the trees and hearing the crunch of the trail beneath my boots.

Just think of how Thomas must have felt as he heard the stories of his friends as they recalled the account of seeing Jesus that Sunday evening when Thomas wasn't present. Of course he wanted to see Jesus! Who wouldn't?

I've mentioned this once before, but I remember vividly and value highly the answer to a question I asked of one of the men in the Saturday Men's Group as I was leading a discussion on the book of Revelation. The question was something to the effect of... "When you get to heaven, what will be the first thing you think of or what will be on your mind." I don't remember the exact question, but that's the general idea. And our friend Herb proclaimed with an exclamation from the center of his soul... "I want to see Jesus!"

Herb got it right that day. His words have always stuck for me. And Herb's words are a perfect example of how I think Thomas felt after he missed seeing Jesus that first Sunday evening.

I love the spirit of Thomas! And I love the spirit of Herb too! I love how he wants to see too! Don't we all want to see Jesus after all. Yes we will believe even when we didn't see. I know I believe and Herb believes and Thomas believes also... but... We want to see Jesus!

Thomas did get to see Jesus and Herb and I both want to see Jesus too!

Don't we all?

Song
Here is a song with such simple lyrics but the same profound statement of my friend Herb and Thomas.
I want to see Jesus!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lLc4fo1qPRY

Prayer
Lord, I give you thanks that you have sent Jesus into my life and into the lives of so many of my friends and family. How could any of us not help but want to see the love of Jesus in our lives not only in the spirit but in the flesh as well. May I be an example of Jesus love this day and may all the Church live out the love of Jesus in the flesh in what we say and what we do. For one day... we will all see clearly... Jesus, our Lord, our Savior, our God. Send now your Holy Spirit to lead and guide your Church that we may live the life you have directed for each and all of us to live. For Christ has risen! He has risen indeed! Alleluia! ... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: