Monday, April 07, 2014

April 7th Reflection by Bill Lynch


Isaiah 50:4-9a
The Lord God has given me
   the tongue of a teacher,
that I may know how to sustain
   the weary with a word.
Morning by morning he wakens—
   wakens my ear
   to listen as those who are taught.
The Lord God has opened my ear,
   and I was not rebellious,
   I did not turn backwards.
I gave my back to those who struck me,
   and my cheeks to those who pulled out the beard;
I did not hide my face
   from insult and spitting.

The Lord God helps me;
   therefore I have not been disgraced;
therefore I have set my face like flint,
   and I know that I shall not be put to shame;
   he who vindicates me is near.
Who will contend with me?
   Let us stand up together.
Who are my adversaries?
   Let them confront me.
It is the Lord God who helps me;
   who will declare me guilty?
All of them will wear out like a garment;
   the moth will eat them up.

Reflection
How can I not help but to see a picture of Jesus in this passage? I see Jesus as my Teacher. I see Jesus as my Savior. The one who was focused on the mission and purpose of saving all people from sin, death and the devil. Focused to the point that even the influences of outside sources that cause pain and humiliation weren't deterrents to fulfilling his mission.

Jesus trusted in the full presence of the Father and the Spirit to bring him through all that humankind and the devil could throw at him in order to take him away from the plan of salvation.

This passage of Scripture is a passage that recalls the characteristics of a servant. The debate goes on as to who this servant is in reality. But that's not the point anyway. This servant has a mission and a purpose. This servant has been given a voice or a tongue and been given the help of God. These two key ingredients along with a mission and a purpose send the servant out into the world to accomplish what God has directed.

This servant is a teacher. Being a teacher the servant was taught. I think of how Jesus not having to be taught. But I do think of his disciples and myself as ones who are taught by Jesus. We open his Word and listen for the voice of God each day and many times during the day. As we live our lives we listen and learn from Jesus, from the Holy Spirit and from God the Father because we are disciples. We long for all of the teaching and instruction we can receive. And when we are taught all the day long, we also are in the presence of God the Teacher. So we know that we have the help of God our Teacher all of the time.

In this knowing that we have the help of God our Teacher all of the time, we need not fear the ways of man that may resist what we are being taught. We can be firm in our mission and purpose. We can withstand the humiliation and the pain because we know for sure that God is with us and will bring us through anything that this world may throw our way. We are set like flint upon the mission that God has planned for us in life.

Yes, it's true as our Servant Teacher shows us in his loving action of salvation. We will wear them out with the love of God in Christ Jesus... our Teacher... the Servant... the Savior.

In Jesus... Who will we fear?

Thanks be to God!

Song
I leave you with a song that reminds me of my Confirmation Verse (Psalm 27:1) and the Teacher, the Servant, the Christ.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0gu0nOaFsI

Prayer
Lord, I come to you this day to listen, to hear and to follow in your will and your way for my life. Teach me how to be the servant you would have me be this day. For I know that you came not to be served but to serve. May my life emulate your love, your life and your way in this earthly walk, that I may know you're always at my side... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: