Monday, September 01, 2014

September 1st Reflection by Bill Lynch


Ezekiel 33:7-11
 So you, mortal, I have made a sentinel for the house of Israel; whenever you hear a word from my mouth, you shall give them warning from me. If I say to the wicked, ‘O wicked ones, you shall surely die’, and you do not speak to warn the wicked to turn from their ways, the wicked shall die in their iniquity, but their blood I will require at your hand. But if you warn the wicked to turn from their ways, and they do not turn from their ways, the wicked shall die in their iniquity, but you will have saved your life.
 Now you, mortal, say to the house of Israel, Thus you have said: ‘Our transgressions and our sins weigh upon us, and we waste away because of them; how then can we live?’ Say to them, As I live, says the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from their ways and live; turn back, turn back from your evil ways; for why will you die, O house of Israel?

Reflection
Do you hear the call of the sentinel? The Word of the Lord speaking through God's written Word, God's Spoken Word, God's action in the Holy Sacraments? Do you hear the Word of God speaking to you? Do you even listen to God's Word?

How many times do we need to hear the Word and know the Word before we act and turn from ourselves and our selfishness? How many times? Don't die in your sin! Listen to the Word.

This isn't to say that even though you have turned to God that it's a one and done action regarding sin. We still live in the midst of sin, death and the devil even if we have turned to follow God. But there is a huge difference.

We can know that God loves us right through our sins to send Jesus as flesh and blood to take our place on that cross and pay the price only God can pay to redeem us from our sins. So, we follow Jesus. We follow Jesus to our own death to sin, death and the devil and we follow Jesus in the realization that through Jesus' actions there will be a resurrection for all the people that God came to save.

Do you year the call of the sentinel? Shouting God's Word to you and calling you to turn and follow, turn and run, turn and stumble, turn and bump right into the arms of Jesus right there next to you. Hear the call of the sentinel... Why would you choose separation from God? Turn and live! Jesus is right there by your side and you didn't even realize it.

Music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlv8oBzIgbY

Prayer
Lord, open all my senses that I may hear the call of the sentinel to turn to you and follow you. Forgive me when I'm distracted and turn away from you. Spin me around in the right direction when I need it. Instruct me, teach me, guide me, lead me and show me the way your would have me love you and those you give to me each day, that all I say and do may glorify you... today... tomorrow... and forever.

No comments: