Tuesday, June 01, 2010

June 1st - Reflection



Proverbs 8:4-21 (NRSV)
Wisdom's riches

"To you, O people, I call,
and my cry is to all that live.
O simple ones, learn prudence;
acquire intelligence, you who lack it.
Hear, for I will speak noble things,
and from my lips will come what is right;
for my mouth will utter truth;
wickedness is an abomination to my lips.
All the words of my mouth are righteous;
there is nothing twisted or crooked in them.
They are all straight to one who understands
and right to those who find knowledge.
Take my instruction instead of silver,
and knowledge rather than choice gold;
for wisdom is better than jewels,
and all that you may desire cannot compare with her.
I, wisdom, live with prudence,
and I attain knowledge and discretion.
The fear of the Lord is hatred of evil.
Pride and arrogance and the way of evil
and perverted speech I hate.
I have good advice and sound wisdom;
I have insight, I have strength.
By me kings reign,
and rulers decree what is just;
by me rulers rule,
and nobles, all who govern rightly.
I love those who love me,
and those who seek me diligently find me.
Riches and honor are with me,
enduring wealth and prosperity.
My fruit is better than gold, even fine gold,
and my yield than choice silver.
I walk in the way of righteousness,
along the paths of justice,
endowing with wealth those who love me,
and filling their treasuries.

Reflection
Acquire prudence and learn intelligence. Use good, clean, truthful language when speaking. Be humble in your ways and avoid pride and arrogance. It's all just sound advice. It's also difficult to consistently repeat all at once. This is the way I want to behave, but I don't always behave this way. So I continue to try, knowing that when I fail, I can be free from the fear of failure, because God loves me so deeply and richly that God continues to work on me and help me improve. God forgives my failures and I am free to try again. What a joy this brings. What motivation God gives to get back up and go at it again. Next time maybe I'll do better with arrogance, next time I can improve my language, and sometimes I'll make God happy. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, guide me through this day and teach me the qualities you wish for me to master. --- Amen

No comments: