Sunday, June 06, 2010

June 6th - Reflection



Time after Pentecost - Lectionary 10
Luke 7:11-17 (NRSV)
Jesus revives a widow's son

Soon afterwards he went to a town called Nain, and his disciples and a large crowd went with him. As he approached the gate of the town, a man who had died was being carried out. He was his mother's only son, and she was a widow; and with her was a large crowd from the town. When the Lord saw her, he had compassion for her and said to her, "Do not weep." Then he came forward and touched the bier, and the bearers stood still. And he said, "Young man, I say to you, rise!" The dead man sat up and began to speak, and Jesus gave him to his mother. Fear seized all of them; and they glorified God, saying, "A great prophet has risen among us!" and "God has looked favorably on his people!" This word about him spread throughout Judea and all the surrounding country.

Reflection
The dead man sat up and began to speak. I wonder what he said? What did he speak? I'm sure the mother must have been happy with the outcome of these events, but was the man happy? And what about the other people present? What would it be like to see a dead man sit up and speak at a viewing? No wonder fear seized all of them!

Jesus' actions would sure start the talk around town. I would expect to see it on Fox News for sure. In another sense, I think what Jesus did here is an action that takes place in our lives as well. Jesus saw you and I coming, dead in our sin, and met us, reached out to us, and gave us new life. Jesus gave us new life that we may sit up and talk. Talk to those we meet in our new life about a Savior that comes to us and is willing to take on our filth and dirt and become "unclean" himself, so that we may be born again. What a clash of love! What a joyous occasion! What will you speak when you sit up? Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, I need your touch. I need you to touch me in my deadness and bring me to new life in you. --- Amen

No comments: