Wednesday, June 23, 2010

June 23rd - Reflection


Luke 9:37-43a (NRSV)
Jesus heals a boy with a demon

On the next day, when they had come down from the mountain, a great crowd met him. Just then a man from the crowd shouted, "Teacher, I beg you to look at my son; he is my only child. Suddenly a spirit seizes him, and all at once he shrieks. It convulses him until he foams at the mouth; it mauls him and will scarcely leave him. I begged your disciples to cast it out, but they could not." Jesus answered, "You faithless and perverse generation, how much longer must I be with you and bear with you? Bring your son here." While he was coming, the demon dashed him to the ground in convulsions. But Jesus rebuked the unclean spirit, healed the boy, and gave him back to his father. And all were astounded at the greatness of God.

Reflection
I'm always astounded at how easy Jesus makes all of this look! Healing is not easy. Healing sometimes is lifelong. Sure we may get better...but are we healed. Sure there are things we can do to fight disease, but Jesus brings healing. And he doesn't just do it part way. Jesus heals both body and soul. Jesus truly makes us clean again. And that's the greatness of God. God can take a pile of dirt, gather that dirt together into some bones, rattle things around a little, attach some ligaments and flesh and bring a wonderful, thoughtful, loving, creature to life. It is amazing. And on top of it all...God came of with the dirt out of nothing...in fact God came up with the dirt out of chaos. So God takes us from the chaos of our sin and death to the new creations God wants us to be.

And all were astounded at the greatness of God!

Prayer
Lord, keep workin on me and don't give up...I know I foul it up...but I need you to straighten out this chaos in my life...I'm yours...recreate me into what you would have me be. --- Amen

No comments: