Thursday, February 10, 2011

February 10th - Reflection


James 1:12-16 (NRSV)
God tempts no one

Blessed is anyone who endures temptation. Such a one has stood the test and will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him. No one, when tempted, should say, "I am being tempted by God"; for God cannot be tempted by evil and he himself tempts no one. But one is tempted by one's own desire, being lured and enticed by it; then, when that desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin, and that sin, when it is fully grown, gives birth to death. Do not be deceived, my beloved.

Reflection
This reminds me of the Lord's Prayer. The sixth petition is --- Lead us not into temptation. Luther further explains that God leads no one into temptation, but we pray that we may not fall to temptation. We pray that God would preserve and keep us, so that the devil, the world, and our flesh may not deceive us or mislead us into false belief, despair, and other great and shameful sins, and that, although we may be attacked by them, we may prevail and gain the victory.

In life we have affliction from the outside that must be endured. In addition we have inner temptation that must be resisted. We will be tempted, but we stand in the realization and hope that we have a Savior that overcame sin, death, the devil and selfishness for us. If God were to tempt us, he would be nullifying the work in and through Jesus. God tempts no one.

Turn to Jesus and see what was given for you. Go to Jesus in your temptation and seek the Spirit that you may endure the affliction and resist the temptation. Jesus gave his very life for no less than this. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, help me and speak to me when I am being tempted by my own desires. Help me and speak to me when I am being tempted by my own selfish actions. Help me and speak to me when evil attempts to be born in me through deception. Lord, help me and speak to me when I struggle with sin. --- Amen

No comments: