Saturday, February 19, 2011

February 19th - Reflection


Psalm 119:33-40 (NRSV)
Walking in the path of the law

Teach me, O Lord, the way of your statutes,
and I will observe it to the end.
Give me understanding, that I may keep your law
and observe it with my whole heart.
Lead me in the path of your commandments,
for I delight in it.
Turn my heart to your decrees,
and not to selfish gain.
Turn my eyes from looking at vanities;
give me life in your ways.
Confirm to your servant your promise,
which is for those who fear you.
Turn away the disgrace that I dread,
for your ordinances are good.
See, I have longed for your precepts;
in your righteousness give me life.

Reflection
To take in the entire law throughout your entire life with all of your heart will lead you to pleasure. Not pleasure in your ability to keep the law, but pleasure in the relationship with a God that loves you in spite of the law. It leads you to pleasure when you give up your pathway to obey the entire law and follow the pathway of a Savior who has come to love you in spite of the law.

We gain a focus in and through the law. That focus must lead us away from our selfish pride and witness a God in Jesus Christ that displays the intense focus on love for his creation. A love that takes us beyond the law. A love that teaches a humble, giving love that doesn't depend on human accomplishment. And in this awesome love of Jesus, we follow in love of God and neighbor in action.

The law leads us to Christ and our own testimony of his love we see and follow and give to the world.

Prayer
Lord, you have shown deep and complete love. As I follow you in that love teach me to do likewise to my neighbor. --- Amen

No comments: