Saturday, February 12, 2011

February 12th - Reflection


Psalm 119:1-8 (NRSV)
Happy are those who walk in the law

Happy are those whose way is blameless,
who walk in the law of the Lord.
Happy are those who keep his decrees,
who seek him with their whole heart,
who also do no wrong,
but walk in his ways.
You have commanded your precepts
to be kept diligently.
O that my ways may be steadfast
in keeping your statutes!
Then I shall not be put to shame,
having my eyes fixed on all your commandments.

I will praise you with an upright heart,
when I learn your righteous ordinances.
I will observe your statutes;
do not utterly forsake me.

Reflection
God gives us the law and the commandments to help and guide us. As we daily search the Word and listen to the voice of God, we go back and see the love God has granted to us and to his people through the gift of the law of love given through Jesus.

God frees us from the bondage of the law and enables us to freely abide by the law. Instead of the law becoming the means to salvation, of which we could never attain, God sent Jesus to us. Salvation is not through the law but through Jesus. Our awareness of this need of salvation through Jesus comes to us through the law.

At some point the realization hits. I and you can't keep the law. We sin. We turn to God and repent. And God forgives. In our freedom we now rejoice to turn from our sin and respond by going back to the law. We want to make our Father happy. And we can rest assured that even in our sin, with our hearts right with God, our Father rejoices to use us in the coming of his Kingdom. God will not forsake you or me. And we will delightfully go back to the law to learn God's righteous ordinances. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, forgive my sin. As I turn to you, teach me your law and your way...today...tomorrow...and forever. --- Amen

No comments: