Tuesday, August 23, 2011

August 23rd - Reflection


Deuteronomy 32:18-20, 28-39 (NRSV)
Praise the rock that is God
You were unmindful of the Rock that bore you;
you forgot the God who gave you birth.

The Lord saw it, and was jealous
he spurned his sons and daughters.
He said: I will hide my face from them,
I will see what their end will be;

for they are a perverse generation,
children in whom there is no faithfulness. ...

They are a nation void of sense;
there is no understanding in them.
If they were wise, they would understand this;
they would discern what the end would be.
How could one have routed a thousand,
and two put a myriad to flight,
unless their Rock had sold them,
the Lord had given them up?
Indeed their rock is not like our Rock;
our enemies are fools.
Their vine comes from the vinestock of Sodom,
from the vineyards of Gomorrah;
their grapes are grapes of poison,
their clusters are bitter;
their wine is the poison of serpents,
the cruel venom of asps.

Is not this laid up in store with me,
sealed up in my treasuries?
Vengeance is mine, and recompense,
for the time when their foot shall slip;
because the day of their calamity is at hand,
their doom comes swiftly.

Indeed the Lord will vindicate his people,
have compassion on his servants,
when he sees that their power is gone,
neither bond nor free remaining.
Then he will say: Where are their gods,
the rock in which they took refuge,
who ate the fat of their sacrifices,
and drank the wine of their libations?
Let them rise up and help you,
let them be your protection!

See now that I, even I, am he;
there is no god besides me.
I kill and I make alive;
I wound and I heal;
and no one can deliver from my hand.

Reflection
The Israelites are poised and ready to march into the Promised Land. Here we see the song of Moses. One of his last times with the Israelites, just before the final blessing. God's will going forth is constant victory. But we must place all our trust and hope and faith in God. God will keep us safe if we trust.

Trust has always been an issue. People tend to turn and try to do things in their own way. People tend to trust in something they have control of. Trust in themselves.

The battle with those that worship false god's and place their trust in things other than the One God the Rock is about to take place. Rock against rock. People of faith versus people of faith. But to whom do we place our trust and hope and faith? In the rock of our own effort or the Rock of God's mission and way?

Another choice to make. Another allegiance to declare. Rock or rock? I choose the Rock of my salvation! Thanks be to God!

Prayer
You're the Rock of my salvation. Open my eyes to those times that I choose the rock. Forgive my foolishness and selfishness and pride. I choose the Rock and place my trust and hope and faith in you alone... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: