Saturday, August 06, 2011

August 6th - Reflection


Psalm 85:8-13 (NRSV)
I will listen to God
Let me hear what God the Lord will speak,
for he will speak peace to his people,
to his faithful, to those who turn to him in their hearts.
Surely his salvation is at hand for those who fear him,
that his glory may dwell in our land.


Steadfast love and faithfulness will meet;
righteousness and peace will kiss each other.
Faithfulness will spring up from the ground,
and righteousness will look down from the sky.
The Lord will give what is good,
and our land will yield its increase.
Righteousness will go before him,
and will make a path for his steps.
Reflection
Are you sure about God? Do you have any doubts? I know I have many questions and there are times of doubt, but I have always felt sure about God. The psalmist in this portion of this psalm is expressing surety about God. Sure enough about God to listen and attempt to understand and follow. Sure enough about God to believe in God even when the experience of alienation takes place.

Are you sure about God when you wander in the desert of life? Are you sure about God when illness and death visit you or someone close? At these times it helps to reflect on what God has done in the past. God has always been faithful to his people. God keeps promises. God goes out of his way to save us. God gives gracefully to his children to keep them close to him. In your mind just walk through the stories of the Bible.

God is present in our troubles.God is with us. I'm reminded of a song I hear often of how Christ is before me, behind me, above and below me, on each side of me and within me. God is present in our troubles. Sometimes we don't realize this or even acknowledge this, but it is truth.

Finally, God fulfills what is promised. God shows steadfast love to sinners and is faithful to all. God is righteous to his pledge and promise. God comes close to us with salvation and grace. You can be sure about it. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, as I listen to you, I am sure of your wondrous promises and salvation. I don't understand why and I doubt the reality of it all simply because it doesn't make sense that you would choose to love me. But you did and you have. I'm sure about this. I know of how you act in my life. I know of your rich blessings and grace. I live those miracles you show me day by day. I am sure of you, and give you all thanks and glory, even as I continue to grow in belief. Clear away my doubt and may I always be ever close to you... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: