Wednesday, August 03, 2011

August 3rd - Reflection


Matthew 15:32-39 (NRSV)
Jesus feeds 4,000
Then Jesus called his disciples to him and said, "I have compassion for the crowd, because they have been with me now for three days and have nothing to eat; and I do not want to send them away hungry, for they might faint on the way." The disciples said to him, "Where are we to get enough bread in the desert to feed so great a crowd?" Jesus asked them, "How many loaves have you?" They said, "Seven, and a few small fish." Then ordering the crowd to sit down on the ground, he took the seven loaves and the fish; and after giving thanks he broke them and gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the crowds. And all of them ate and were filled; and they took up the broken pieces left over, seven baskets full. Those who had eaten were four thousand men, besides women and children. After sending away the crowds, he got into the boat and went to the region of Magadan.

Reflection
Four thousand or five thousand? Which is it? Did Jesus do this one time or two? Since Mark includes both accounts maybe it was two times. So if twice, why hesitate. Why didn't the disciples know what the answer would be? Or maybe they wanted to know if Jesus wanted to waste a parable on a certain type of people present?

My opinion? Jesus multiplies not only bread and fish but miracles and people. Jesus comes to all people with his love and compassion. If he could individually feed the world I think he may have done that. But his mission wasn't to only physically feed people. Jesus came to save us from sin, death and the devil. Jesus came to draw us from death to life in him. Jesus came to save. And if some teaching, healing, feeding and love were part of that mission, so be it. But this wasn't the totality of the love of Jesus.

The love of Jesus goes beyond our physical needs to our spiritual needs. Jesus comes to save us corporately and individually, body, soul, mind, spirit. There is so much more to this than we can ever imagine. Thanks be to God. Now trust in Jesus' salvation and follow him. 

Prayer
Lord, the depth of your love is beyond my comprehension. I can trust you though. As I follow you, take me as I am and work with me, making me into what you would have me be...today...tomorrow...and forever. --- Amen 

No comments: