Wednesday, September 21, 2011

September 21st - Reflection


Matthew 18:1-5 (NRSV)
True greatness
At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" He called a child, whom he put among them, and said, "Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever becomes humble like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.

Reflection
Can you be humble? Can you show respect to those you wouldn't expect? In a time when climbing the ladder and getting in the pecking order is important, Jesus wants us to know that forgiveness and humility are tops in attributes.

Move down and up and all around whatever position in life you have been given and grant full respect to all you meet. Each person has been chosen by God and is unique in gifts. Honor and love that person way above any perceived earthly pecking order. God's order is not your order or the earth's order. Each person is of great and awesome value to God.

So it should be with you and I in how we treat one another. We must treat the weakest person as a person to be respected and not as a person to be manipulated. In this love, we turn towards God as his children in respect of dependence and humility. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, as I look into the eyes of another may I see your eyes. May I show each person you give to me this day as a child of God, to be loved, and to give life for... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: