Friday, September 02, 2011

September 2nd - Reflection


Romans 10:15b-21 (NRSV)
God reaches out to erring Israel
As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!" But not all have obeyed the good news; for Isaiah says, "Lord, who has believed our message?" So faith comes from what is heard, and what is heard comes through the word of Christ.

But I ask, have they not heard? Indeed they have; for

"Their voice has gone out to all the earth,
and their words to the ends of the world."

Again I ask, did Israel not understand? First Moses says,
"I will make you jealous of those who are not a nation;
with a foolish nation I will make you angry."

Then Isaiah is so bold as to say,
"I have been found by those who did not seek me;
I have shown myself to those who did not ask for me."

But of Israel he says, "All day long I have held out my hands to a disobedient and contrary people."

Reflection
Years ago there was a bumper sticker that said something to the effect that I found him. Same type of thing happened to Israel when they suddenly found Jesus in their midst. And then again with a few of the disciples. They found Jesus, come and follow.

It may be that we find Jesus or in most cases Jesus finds us, but at some point we have to decide, are we going to follow him? Are we going to give up control of our life to follow Jesus and let God control our lives. And I don't mean follow like a zombie, I mean follow and use all of the gifts God has graciously given and cultivated in you to God's plan and God's glory.

It's time to get off the fence and decide! We have the Bible to read. Read it! We have faithful servants that preach and serve the bread and wine and offer wonderful ways to praise God. What are you waiting for? Go! Your faith will grow and you will begin to understand that awesome forgiveness God has in store for you. Get up and go! Make up your mind!

So if we decide to follow, we must listen carefully to the Word and obey the instruction that Word brings to us, following faithfully and cheerfully the God of all that gave his life in order that you may live now and forever in his name. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, kick me in the pants to decide for you and go. I need that sometimes. We're not talking about a little things here. I want to follow you today... tomorrow... and forever. It's time for me to go! --- Amen

No comments: