Friday, September 30, 2011

September 30th - Reflection


Philippians 2:14-18; 3:1-4a (NRSV)
Boast only in Jesus Christ

Do all things without murmuring and arguing, so that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, in which you shine like stars in the world. It is by your holding fast to the word of life that I can boast on the day of Christ that I did not run in vain or labor in vain. But even if I am being poured out as a libation over the sacrifice and the offering of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you -- and in the same way you also must be glad and rejoice with me. ...

Finally, my brothers and sisters, rejoice in the Lord.


To write the same things to you is not troublesome to me, and for you it is a safeguard.

Beware of the dogs, beware of the evil workers, beware of those who mutilate the flesh! For it is we who are the circumcision, who worship in the Spirit of God and boast in Christ Jesus and have no confidence in the flesh -- even though I, too, have reason for confidence in the flesh.

Reflection
It's not just about what we do, it's how we do it. What spirit do we have in the things that we do. Are we guided by the Spirit of God? Are we overjoyed to serve? Are we just itching at the chance to jump in to serve those in need?

That's the spirit of joy and wonder in all God has done for us. That's the spirit of life and love that Jesus has taught us. It's so much different from those who try to infiltrate the church and cause division and hatred between one another.

When we serve in the spirit of joy we take on a new type of understanding of life in Jesus. We no longer depend on our physical natures but serve in spirit and love. For it is no longer about our abilities and our pride but it's all about the Spirit of God that lives and grows in us to itch and jump at that chance to love God and one another.

Prayer
Lord, the spirit that you grow in me brings great joy and satisfaction. Thanks! May I serve you in the spirit that you would have me serve... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: