Saturday, September 03, 2011

September 3rd - Reflection


Psalm 119:33-40 (NRSV)
The path of your commandments
Teach me, O Lord, the way of your statutes,
and I will observe it to the end.
Give me understanding, that I may keep your law
and observe it with my whole heart.
Lead me in the path of your commandments,
for I delight in it.
Turn my heart to your decrees,
and not to selfish gain.
Turn my eyes from looking at vanities;
give me life in your ways.
Confirm to your servant your promise,
which is for those who fear you.
Turn away the disgrace that I dread,
for your ordinances are good.
See, I have longed for your precepts;
in your righteousness give me life.

Reflection
I long to learn and understand the whole Law of God with my whole heart. I know that I will never be able to do this, but this does not persuade me from the desire to understand all that I can or am able. It is a delight to study and be taught the Law of God and because of Jesus I desire to follow him and be taught God's Law all my life.

I fall short of that Law, but I know of a grace that far exceeds my attempts to keep that Law. I know of a grace in God's love through Jesus that teaches me to love the Lord with all my heart, mind, and soul and love my neighbor as well.

In that act of love that Jesus granted to the entire world we can live under the Law and not fear the Law. We can learn and study the Law and not be afraid of our failures. We are free to sin boldly yet live in the understanding that through Jesus there is life after that sin. This isn't an excuse to sin, but rather a release to live in the grace and love of Christ that far exceeds the sin we could ever commit. Once we live in that grace we are also free to love boldly and serve boldly and follow Christ with a passion. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, with my whole heart I will follow you with a single-mindedness of one who fears God yet rejoices in God's blessings... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: