Monday, June 04, 2012

June 4th Reflection by Bill Lynch

"I didn't know you were into this big of a job." 

Words that my son, Bryan, said as he came over to give me a hand with my front door. There was some insect damage that had taken place around the side light of my front door. As I investigated further I located those pesky and destructive little termites just eating away at my door. The further I went the more I had to remove of the side light and door frame. It ended up that I removed the entire front door. In the next few days an exterminator showed to treat our home.

Termites are viscious creatures that work behind the scenes. The signs of their presence are subtle. They cause much damage inside and behind. In some ways I'm reminded of the passage from Genesis as the serpent persuaded Eve and Adam to eat the fruit of the tree that God did not want them to eat.

Once the sin was committed Adam and Eve felt their nakedness and hid from God. As the termites did their dirty deed to my house, once exposed I was upset that I had neglected this spot that I knew was their months prior. Sin works into our lives and eats away at our inner selves. I know that I can't treat this on my own and must turn to God for salvation. As I live in this world of sin, I continue to suffer the consequences of my action, but I also know of a Savior who lived and died for my sin. I turn to Jesus to save me from the eternal damage I deserve and witness the love of God active through the Holy Spirit in the lives of myself and so many other believers.

Prayer
Lord, I have sinned.  Forgive me and protect me and save me from sin and evil. Send now your holy angel to watch over me so that the evil foe may have no power over me. I place all hope in Jesus act of grace in this world for your people. Lead me in your will and your way that I may work and live to your delight... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: