Tuesday, October 22, 2013

October 22nd Reflection - Strength of God - by Bill Lynch


Psalm 46
God’s Defence of His City and People

To the leader. Of the Korahites. According to Alamoth. A Song.

God is our refuge and strength,
   a very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change,
   though the mountains shake in the heart of the sea;
though its waters roar and foam,
   though the mountains tremble with its tumult.
          Selah 

There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
   the holy habitation of the Most High.
God is in the midst of the city; it shall not be moved;
   God will help it when the morning dawns.
The nations are in an uproar, the kingdoms totter;
   he utters his voice, the earth melts.
The Lord of hosts is with us;
   the God of Jacob is our refuge.
          Selah 

Come, behold the works of the Lord;
   see what desolations he has brought on the earth.
He makes wars cease to the end of the earth;
   he breaks the bow, and shatters the spear;
   he burns the shields with fire.
‘Be still, and know that I am God!
   I am exalted among the nations,
   I am exalted in the earth.’
The Lord of hosts is with us;
   the God of Jacob is our refuge.
          Selah

Reflection
Comets come close and meteors attack.
This world is in chaos and danger is all around.
War continues and suffering increases.
But God is on our side.
God our King, our Creator, our Savior,
Our Safety, our strength, our rest from evil.
Come and save your people.

Your people take anchor in your love O Lord.
Though the powers of evil rage and threaten,
Your people are safe and peaceful and secure.
For you are at the center of our being.
You, O Lord, are the One we gather around.
We feed from your waters of baptism in grace and love.
We live under the resurrection of Jesus, our Savior.

Weapons and guns and bombs will fade.
The political powers will dissipate into weakness.
For in your presence, O Lord, all fear and worry fades.
For you alone are all power and honor and strength.
Galaxies are but grains of sand upon your fingers.
For you bring peace and love and salvation.
You bring life and and everlasting union to all creation.

Praise to you Father, Son, Spirit.
Hear the song of all flesh and all spirit.
Receive our honor and praise for the One above all.
Watch creation bow at the feet of Jesus.
See your Spirit bring an eternal movement of peace.
In your presence we worship you alone.
And give you all honor and glory forever and ever.

Prayer
Lord, when I think of your works I am humbled. I am honored to have the chance to praise your name. I tremble in your presence and give you all glory and honor and praise. For you save me and all people. You come in peace to settle my chaos. You invade my world and recreate my heart. You send your Spirit to lead and guide me through the chaos of the here and now to a peaceful river of hope and love and refreshment. Thank you my Lord and my Savior. I look to you as I walk this life in your presence here in this place and towards your presence through eternity. Lead me and guide me all the way... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: