Friday, October 25, 2013

October 25th Reflection - Sin - by Bill Lynch


John 8:31-36
True Disciples

 Then Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, ‘If you continue in my word, you are truly my disciples; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.’ They answered him, ‘We are descendants of Abraham and have never been slaves to anyone. What do you mean by saying, “You will be made free”?’

 Jesus answered them, ‘Very truly, I tell you, everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin. The slave does not have a permanent place in the household; the son has a place there for ever. So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed.

Reflection
I had em! I had em right where I wanted em! These people couldn't break free from me if they tried. And they certainly tried. They tried and tried and tried to break free from me by following every letter of the Law, but they didn't understand how I had em!

You see, they couldn't follow every letter of the law. They were certain to stumble and fall. And I could point out each and every mistake they made along the way that they thought they were taking to perfection. Ha! Perfection! They didn't have a clue! Cause I had em! Perfection was just out of their reach. So, I had em! I had a whole world of em and they were mine! ALL MINE!!!

Except when this One came along. I couldn't get him. I tried. I tried every trick in the book, but I couldn't get him. This guy surely was God. God in the flesh. He had to be God. Cause, I couldn't get this one guy. And, I'll be damned if he didn't get me! The whole world I had as mine. All of the people were my slaves because, I had em, but this one guy, who must have been God.

So, I put my plan to work. I set all of the people against this one. I convinced them that he was a fake. I convinced them that he couldn't be telling the truth. I convinced them to yell and scream and put this one to death on a cross. I was going to get this one after all. I was going to get rid of him! And get rid of him I did.

One afternoon I got him on the cross. He suffered, he bled, he died. That was that! Back to my reign of power over all of these fools. My slaves were mine again, all mine! Yet, right when this one died, I heard a tearing sound. A sound that went right through me and to my bones. I looked up and the Temple curtain had torn. The special place that the priest would enter for the sins of the people was open. I was exposed! I was now exposed to the God of all creation. God could see right through my scheme and see me as I stood by that cross. I was declared guilty!

And then I heard the sound of rattling chains all around the world. Everywhere at once! The sound of chain links tinkling to the ground. I thought I had em all and now they were set free from me. I didn't have one of them anymore. They all were set free from my grasp. Free to live the lives they chose to live. Free from me.

And those who chose to believe in that one. Those that chose to believe, gathered together as one. They followed the one that had died to new life. A new life that the one led them into after he rose from the dead. I was still around, but I didn't have em like I thought I did. They were free from me if they but believed in that one. That one! I hate him! I can't stand him! And some day he will come again to put an end to me. He will come again and gather all who believe on him. He will come and cast me into hell.

I thought I had em! I did have em! But now what? Maybe I can convince a few. Maybe I can make a come back? Or maybe not. Not as long as they follow that one.

Prayer
Lord, I hear you...

Jesus answered them, ‘Very truly, I tell you, everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin. The slave does not have a permanent place in the household; the son has a place there for ever. So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed.

I believe... I place all my faith, hope and trust in you alone, the One...  today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: