Thursday, October 24, 2013

October 24th Reflection -That Day! - by Bill Lynch


John 8:31-36
True Disciples

 Then Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, ‘If you continue in my word, you are truly my disciples; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.’ They answered him, ‘We are descendants of Abraham and have never been slaves to anyone. What do you mean by saying, “You will be made free”?’

 Jesus answered them, ‘Very truly, I tell you, everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin. The slave does not have a permanent place in the household; the son has a place there for ever. So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed.

Reflection
That day we were freed from sin. That day that I saw Jesus suffer and die upon the cross, we were made free. I saw Jesus change into my sin on that day on that cross. I saw how ugly my sin really was. I saw my sin ruin the features of Jesus into a horrible, bloody mess. That day we were freed from sin. For Jesus carried my sin in pain and suffering to that cross. The sound of the nails pounding away at the flesh of God and the sight of Jesus, my God, becoming my sin in front of God the Father and before God the Spirit will linger into eternity. That day, Jesus put all the slavery to sin to death on the cross. I saw it before my own eyes, my Savior became my sin and died in the sweat and blood and suffering that only Jesus could endure.

And then... and then... after the grave... Jesus rose from the dead. Jesus had defeated all sin and replaced it with new life. Jesus came and called me and called you to follow. To follow this risen life, this life free from the slavery of sin, to follow him into eternity.

But, what about now? What about the sin that still exists in this world, in me and in you? What about this sin that Jesus put to death? I thought this sin was no more? I thought Jesus put it to death? Sure, we are free from sin, but sin is still here? What about that?

Jesus promised to come again. Jesus will come again. Jesus will come again and take all who believe in him and have faith in him and have trust in him with him. Jesus will take all those who choose to follow in his truth and in his way to an eternal home where sin and death and pain and sorrow and tears are no more. Jesus will come again. But for now, we live by faith in what Jesus has done and we live by faith in what Jesus has promised and we live out the call Jesus has given us through the Spirit to live in love for God and in love for one another. We live in faith and proclaim this glorious grace of Jesus upon the cross and freedom from sin and eternal life with our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ!

And that's WAY more than enough for me! Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Thank you, Lord, for life, love and the sacrifice you paid for me and for all people. Thanks for setting me free... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: