Sunday, February 23, 2014

February 23rd Reflection - Perfect! - by Bill Lynch


Matthew 5:38-48
 ‘You have heard that it was said, “An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.” But I say to you, Do not resist an evildoer. But if anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn the other also; and if anyone wants to sue you and take your coat, give your cloak as well; and if anyone forces you to go one mile, go also the second mile. Give to everyone who begs from you, and do not refuse anyone who wants to borrow from you.
 ‘You have heard that it was said, “You shall love your neighbour and hate your enemy.” But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be children of your Father in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the righteous and on the unrighteous. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax-collectors do the same? And if you greet only your brothers and sisters, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Reflection - Perfect!
Be perfect? Brother, I blew that perfect think a long time ago! Now what? I mean really... did I ever have a chance at this perfect thing? But you want me to be perfect? Come on! Get real! Sure, Jesus, you can sit there and tell all of this perfect business. You are perfect after all... but the rest of us? Come on! I can't believe you even have the idea that one of us may be perfect.

At least an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth makes a little sense. That depends on one of us not being perfect by the standards set by someone. Which brings up another question... who gets to set the standards of what is right and what is wrong? What just is this whole idea of perfect?

Are you saying, Jesus, that perfect is letting someone beat the snot out of you and you just let go of it? Or letting someone take what you have worked hard to buy just because they want to sue and take it away from you? Are you saying, Jesus, that we are supposed to hate the evil of the world like Hitler or Saddam? Really? Are these the ways to become perfect? Come on!

Jesus, you even got upset with the people in the Temple selling goods and services for the Passover! You even became upset with the death of Lazarus! You even cast those demons into pigs that ran over the cliff! So... tell me Jesus... tell me about this perfect thing!

I will give you this, Jesus, this perfect thing you speak of seems to be more about giving than taking. The eye for an eye thing for example. It's more about giving in and resisting the taking of the eye, than the revenge of an evil deed done by someone. Another words, you want me as your disciple to defend the abused more than take revenge on the abuser.

And then the whole deal with the coat... you want me to make sure the the poor man doesn't go without and give my cloak in order for his survival. Likewise if someone socks me in the kisser, you want me to handle it a little different than to just punch the guy back in the nose. Then I would be guilty of giving the same response as I was given. Kind of like what you did on the cross. You were hung on a tree, yet you chose to forgive rather than to destroy all creation.

And then the way you chose, as a Jew, to come into the lives of the Gentiles as well as the Chosen Jews to grant salvation. You walked that extra mile without limitation in order that I and many others too may be included in the Kingdom of Heaven with you in eternity.

Likewise in your action upon the cross you gave your love to everyone. You loved us into an eternal relationship with God.

I see now where this whole perfection thing comes from... it comes from and through you! You are God! You alone are perfect... and if you choose... which you have in your coming, life, death and resurrection to grant a perfect eternal life to all your people... yes if you choose... even I can be perfect in you... all can be perfect in you... but only in and through you can we be perfect!

So, I guess... you want us to act like it! Even though for now in this fallen and evil world and in our sinful state, we won't be made perfect until you come again... even though I'm still sinful... you want me to take on the characteristics of perfection that you have shown to all the world.

That's what being a disciple is all about! Following you... not being you... but following you and learning your will and way for our lives... for my life. You want me to be perfect like you so much that you took my place for my sin as my perfect sacrifice, because you knew that even if I sacrificed myself, I would not be the perfect sacrifice that God demanded. Only you and you alone could be that perfect sacrifice for my sin!

Yes, Jesus! Yes! I will follow you in your will and your way. Teach me all along the way to live out the perfection of Love you have shown all the world in your actions upon this earth. Teach me to be your disciple and walk in your way... even while I sin... even while I die to self and live to you... even as I am what I am... your disciple... depending on you alone... my perfect Sacrifice... my perfect Savior!

Here is a song to leave you with that reminds me of the Perfect Sacrifice... Our Lord... Jesus!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP8syxhIRpg



Prayer
Lord, as you are perfect in love, lead me to respond to your wonderful gift of life and live out the love you would have me live towards you and those you give to me... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: