Saturday, September 11, 2010

September 11th - Reflection


John 10:11-21 (NRSV)
Jesus, the good shepherd

"I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. The hired hand, who is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and runs away - and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. The hired hand runs away because a hired hand does not care for the sheep. I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father. And I lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd. For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life in order to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it up again. I have received this command from my Father."

Again the Jews were divided because of these words. Many of them were saying, "He has a demon and is out of his mind. Why listen to him?" Others were saying, "These are not the words of one who has a demon. Can a demon open the eyes of the blind?"

Reflection
Lay down your life to take it up again. When I lay down my life for Jesus, I know that his life, death and resurrection, has cut the path and saved my life for me to take it up again. Jesus will take my life and make it into what he intended for it to be before I got in the way. I will become close to Jesus day after day and the change takes place. New life and growth and involvement in the life of the flock of his Church takes place and grows. I become that life that did not belong to the flock through Jesus gift of life that now belongs! Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, as you gave your life, take my life and make it yours. Bring me into the flock and grow my faith. --- Amen

No comments: