Monday, September 13, 2010

September 13th - Reflection


Amos 7:1-6 (NRSV)
God relents from punishing Israel

This is what the Lord God showed me: he was forming locusts at the time the latter growth began to sprout (it was the latter growth after the king's mowings). When they had finished eating the grass of the land, I said,
"O Lord God, forgive, I beg you!
How can Jacob stand?
He is so small!"
The Lord relented concerning this;
"It shall not be," said the Lord.

This is what the Lord God showed me: the Lord God was calling for a shower of fire, and it devoured the great deep and was eating up the land. Then I said,
"O Lord God, cease, I beg you!
How can Jacob stand?
He is so small!"
The Lord relented concerning this;
"This also shall not be," said the Lord God.

Reflection
I am so small too. When I think of the Creator of the Universe, what am I? I am so small! And then I don't follow or obey the Lord's commandments. Why not destroy? But someone has pleaded my case for me. Someone has spoken for me. Against my destruction the heart of God was touched. God relented and had compassion for me and for you. God had love and sent his Son to plead my case and your case too. And...the Lord relented concerning this destruction...and...the Lord brought forth life out of death. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, I know that I deserve death and eternal damnation. But I also know of a Savior in Jesus Christ who came with compassion and grace to give me new life. I choose to live that life with Jesus. Forgive my sin, teach and correct me and use me in the calling you have prepared for me in your Kingdom. --- Amen

No comments: