Saturday, September 04, 2010

September 4th - Reflection


Matthew 10:34-42 (NRSV)
The cost of discipleship

"Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.
For I have come to set a man against his father,
and a daughter against her mother,
and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law;
and one's foes will be members of one's own household.

Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever does not take up the cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Those who find their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it.

"Whoever welcomes you welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. Whoever welcomes a prophet in the name of a prophet will receive a prophet's reward; and whoever welcomes a righteous person in the name of a righteous person will receive the reward of the righteous; and whoever gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones in the name of a disciple - truly I tell you, none of these will lose their reward."

Reflection
Set and keep your priorities straight. To be a disciple of Jesus, we are to set our sights on him. We look to God as our all. We cannot let worldly distractions get in the way. Father, mother, sister, brother, friend and neighbor are all invited to make the same decisions to be followers. It is up to each individual to make that decision. But as this decision is made we focus on Christ, the cross, the Spirit and our Father. We focus on one God and we live for that one God and worship and glorify that one God.

It's not about the reward either. The reward is taken care of. We don't need to earn it, we don't need to justify it through our actions. The reward is not our focus. Our focus must remain on God and what God would do with our lives. It's not about us any more. It's about God and what God intends to do through us. The reward is not the goal. The goal is in God's hands and God will take care of that. It's not about the reward.

It is about a changed life. It is about renewal. It is about a relationship with God and the Church through the Spirit. It is about love through Christ and love to neighbor. It is about personal relationship with God and a corporal relationship with God through the Church. It is about a changed life.

Set and keep your priorities straight. There is a cost to discipleship. There is an awesome cost. And why not...look what Jesus paid for that cost! Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, I look to follow you at all costs. --- Amen

No comments: