Tuesday, September 14, 2010

September 14th - Reflection


Holy Cross Day
1 Corinthians 1:18-24 (NRSV)

For the message about the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written,
"I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,
and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart."
Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, God decided, through the foolishness of our proclamation, to save those who believe. For Jews demand signs and Greeks desire wisdom, but we proclaim Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.

Reflection
Today is Mom's 88th birthday. My early memories of my Mom include a time when I would I would observe her reading this coffee table bible. Every day at the same time of day, Mom would stop housecleaning and read that Bible. I figured there must be something pretty important in that Bible, so I began to read the Bible at an early age.

There was another time that Mom and I read the passage on the fruits of the Spirit. We made "word" fruits out of each word and talked about why each were fruits of the Spirit and created a Fruits of the Spirit Tree.

Then all the talks on the car trips to church for activities of all sorts, Junior Choir, then League Choir, Luther League and Catechism, all kinds  fun stuff.

I remember taking home an older lady, one of the Jordons, can't remember her first name, we took her home after every Lenten service. She sat in the back of the car with me, and she showed caring and love.

It's these acts of faithfulness that set in my mind to this day. Acts too many to record here. But the point is, that to some, these may seem to be just acts of parenting, to others they may be foolishness, but to me and my faith life, Mom became a saint in my mind. She nurtured me to read the Word, both in scripture and the spoken word through so many of the saints of the church. She was faithful in bringing me up in the faith and permitted me to make my own choosing as to what I believe through catechism. And then that wonderful moment...

During confirmation...I accepted all that Jesus had done and gives...I accepted Jesus as Savior..and confirmed my faith publicly in the gifts of the Spirit...I became a new creation in Christ...right before the eyes of my Mom...my Mom who had planted all those seeds, not knowing if any would take root.


Well, Mom, they did! From early childhood to today...what may seem like foolishness to some...was life changing for me. Thanks be to God! Thanks for the faith of Mom!

Prayer
Lord, I know I'm both saint and sinner. Teach me through the sinning and lead me in the saintly. I give you thanks for my Mom and her witness to me to the power of the gospel and the saving grace of Christ. I give you thanks for her dedication to acts of love. Just as Jesus protected the children, my Mom protected me and led me to you. Make me an example for my children that they may see you in my life and invited you into theirs. And fill us all with the fruits of the Spirit that we may boldly act as you have planned for each of us to act in your Kingdom day after day. --- Amen

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We never know what seeds of faith we sew with others that may turn into fruits of the Spirit. Thank you Lord for all who have planted seeds with us, that they may grow into fruit that is acceptable to you. Amen

Bob Ransbottom