Friday, November 05, 2010

November 5th - Reflection


Acts 24:10-23 (NRSV)
Paul testifies to the resurrection

When the governor motioned to him to speak, Paul replied:

"I cheerfully make my defense, knowing that for many years you have been a judge over this nation. As you can find out, it is not more than twelve days since I went up to worship in Jerusalem. They did not find me disputing with anyone in the temple or stirring up a crowd either in the synagogues or throughout the city. Neither can they prove to you the charge that they now bring against me. But this I admit to you, that according to the Way, which they call a sect, I worship the God of our ancestors, believing everything laid down according to the law or written in the prophets. I have a hope in God - a hope that they themselves also accept - that there will be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous. Therefore I do my best always to have a clear conscience toward God and all people. Now after some years I came to bring alms to my nation and to offer sacrifices. While I was doing this, they found me in the temple, completing the rite of purification, without any crowd or disturbance. But there were some Jews from Asia - they ought to be here before you to make an accusation, if they have anything against me. Or let these men here tell what crime they had found when I stood before the council, unless it was this one sentence that I called out while standing before them, 'It is about the resurrection of the dead that I am on trial before you today.'"

But Felix, who was rather well informed about the Way, adjourned the hearing with the comment, "When Lysias the tribune comes down, I will decide your case." Then he ordered the centurion to keep him in custody, but to let him have some liberty and not to prevent any of his friends from taking care of his needs.

Reflection
Paul stood up for his faith and beliefs. I think that Felix has some respect for this act of Paul. Felix listened to Paul and wanted the accusers to be present. There just doesn't seem to be enough information to decide on anything here. It all seems to be a religious matter.

But Felix was in this for much more than a decision. Felix wanted to wait, not just to make a good decision, but to wait for a bribe from Lysias. If the tribune wants Paul, then they would be willing to pay for Paul. So, let Paul stay in prison for a while. Paul is worth money.

And so it goes. Take the message and make it something else. Take the message of grace and twist it into a way to make some money. Human selfish greed jumps forth once again. The very message of salvation from sin through Jesus resurrection, becomes twisted by evil into a way to gain money.

And for this small, temporary gain of wealth, Paul's message of grace will spread. Even in the midst of prisons, trials, persecutions and death, the gospel of Christ will spread throughout the world. Paul takes this message with him wherever he goes in life.

You and I likewise take the message of the gospel out each day. We take this life, granted through Christ, with us every moment of the day. The spread continues in this sinful world. The gospel lives in each child of God to be lived, taught and given to those we meet day after day. The gospel spread to the workplace, the hospital, the factory, the school, the office and throughout. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, as I leave this place, you go with me. Teach me how to live the gospel and freely spread the news to all you give to me. --- Amen

No comments: