Monday, December 20, 2010

December 20th - Reflection


Genesis 17:15-22 (NRSV)
God promises Sarah a son

God said to Abraham, "As for Sarai your wife, you shall not call her Sarai, but Sarah shall be her name. I will bless her, and moreover I will give you a son by her. I will bless her, and she shall give rise to nations; kings of peoples shall come from her." Then Abraham fell on his face and laughed, and said to himself, "Can a child be born to a man who is a hundred years old? Can Sarah, who is ninety years old, bear a child?" And Abraham said to God, "O that Ishmael might live in your sight!" God said, "No, but your wife Sarah shall bear you a son, and you shall name him Isaac. I will establish my covenant with him as an everlasting covenant for his offspring after him. As for Ishmael, I have heard you; I will bless him and make him fruitful and exceedingly numerous; he shall be the father of twelve princes, and I will make him a great nation. But my covenant I will establish with Isaac, whom Sarah shall bear to you at this season next year." And when he had finished talking with him, God went up from Abraham.

Reflection
God brings forth this ironic joy. It's laughable to consider a couple the age of Abraham and Sarai having children at their age. It's unbelievable that it would even be considered. I wonder if God tilted his head back and gave a good belly laugh at this miracle he was about to work? I wonder at the amazement of Sarah when she realized she was carrying a child. When Sarah and Abraham did the deed, did anyone get hurt? Did they get stuck in that position for a while? Was God laughing at the time?

But then again there was this virgin thousands of years later who would become pregnant. With divorce and a stoning on line, I wonder if God laughed when she became pregnant? These were serious charges and this was very dangerous for Mary. But Mary was safe in the arms of God. I wonder if God laughed when Jesus was born in a feed trough in a stall?

But at some point it seems to get very serious for you and me. Jesus came into our world to save us from sin, death, the devil and ourselves. Jesus came to give us everlasting life. It wasn't an easy or funny task. But, I still wonder if Jesus had a good laugh when he stepped and stood by that tomb on the resurrection? Was it fun to watch people react to his risen body? Does Jesus laugh when someone today comes to him and is saved and believes in Jesus? Does Jesus laugh when we come together as intimate friends?

God certainly brings forth some ironic joy! Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, I give you thanks for a good laugh. Let's laugh at what you have done in my life and tell a few stories! --- Amen

No comments: