Friday, December 31, 2010

December 31st - Reflection


John 8:12-19 (NRSV)

I am the light

Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life." Then the Pharisees said to him, "You are testifying on your own behalf; your testimony is not valid." Jesus answered, "Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid because I know where I have come from and where I am going, but you do not know where I come from or where I am going. You judge by human standards; I judge no one. Yet even if I do judge, my judgment is valid; for it is not I alone who judge, but I and the Father who sent me. In your law it is written that the testimony of two witnesses is valid. I testify on my own behalf, and the Father who sent me testifies on my behalf." Then they said to him, "Where is your Father?" Jesus answered, "You know neither me nor my Father. If you knew me, you would know my Father also."

Reflection
If this were a conversation with anyone else besides Jesus, I think we would have serious issues. The Pharisees want to Jesus to prove that what he claims is true. The Pharisees want Jesus to present someone who will testify on his behalf that Jesus' claim to be the light of the world is correct. The Pharisees don't ask who will testify for Jesus but where is the Father.

Likewise, as an unbeliever looks at the testimony of Jesus or even our testimony of Jesus, there is difficulty in being able to see and understand. Jesus spoke about a mission of which he was familiar. Jesus knew what the Father had sent him to do. We tend to search  for our mission. But the mission is given to us in the Word. We have already been drawn to the Light of Christ and believe. So we at least see the Light and believe that Jesus is the light of the world.

Light is associated with life. With light there is growth and life begins and blossoms. As we see the Light, spiritually we grow and blossom and are re-created new creatures through the saving action of Jesus. Our lives take on new meaning and new direction. Even in the darkness, we cling to the Light and follow the Light out of the darkness. We have faith that the Light will lead us into eternity of truth with God.

As we follow the Light, we learn from the Word, that our mission is to make disciples of Jesus. In making disciples of Jesus we must lead others to this Light. We must show them the Light and permit them to take the Light on their own. In this faithful action of taking the Light, God graciously grants faith to the new believer. A new disciple is born. A new life is beginning. This new life now in the Light can see and understand the testimony of Jesus and see the Father and be gifted by the Spirit.

And now the Light being associated with life, brings forth growth in this new believer. No longer to walk in darkness but to have the Light of life to follow.

This is what the Pharisees needed to see to understand Jesus. They needed that step of faith. They needed to take the light that Jesus offered. They needed the Light to lead them out of their darkness. And then understanding, faith, and growth in Christ, the Light of the world would begin living in and through them.

Take the Light offered. Take it in faith and believe. It will make all the difference. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
God, you have given the Light of the world in Jesus to all. I take this Light and follow in the faith you have graciously given me. I believe and grow as a disciple of Jesus. Send the power of your Holy Spirit into my life that my testimony may always be to the Light of the world. Send me the boldness to proclaim Jesus as my Savior. Send the words that others may be led to the Light and see and believe what I see and believe... Jesus. --- Amen

No comments: