Tuesday, January 11, 2011

January 11th - Reflection


Jeremiah 1:4-10 (NRSV)
God calls Jeremiah

Now the word of the Lord came to me saying,
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
and before you were born I consecrated you;
I appointed you a prophet to the nations."
Then I said, "Ah, Lord God! Truly I do not know how to speak, for I am only a boy." But the Lord said to me,
"Do not say, 'I am only a boy';
for you shall go to all to whom I send you,
and you shall speak whatever I command you,
Do not be afraid of them,
for I am with you to deliver you,
says the Lord."

Then the Lord put out his hand and touched my mouth; and the Lord said to me,
"Now I have put my words in your mouth.
See, today I appoint you over nations and over kingdoms,
to pluck up and to pull down,
to destroy and to overthrow,
to build and to plant."

Reflection
The Word of the Lord is in control in this passage. The Word comes to Jeremiah and eliminates all excuse. Jeremiah was appointed for a task and God gave him what he needed to complete that task. God would protect and guide Jeremiah throughout.

It's much the same with you and I. The Word made flesh has come to us in Jesus. Just open the Bible and read. Read it, Old Testament and New Testament through the lens of Jesus revelation of which we know Truth. The Word comes to you and me in this Bible, through the words spoken by pastors and through one another. We need to stop and listen and discern those words that are Word and those words that are just word.

In the Word is direction and instruction and guidance and comfort and healing and so much more than any one of us could imagine. But when this Word comes to you, there is a call to action. A call to love. A call to stand for truth. A call to move in some way. Along with this call are are the gifts and skills needed to carry out the call.

One thing comes from you. You must believe. You believe and faith builds and action occurs. And God's will is done. So today listen and take the appointment. This action is the beginning of life in Jesus. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, I pause this day to listen. I listen to your Word and believe. --- Amen

No comments: