Sunday, January 16, 2011

January 16th - Reflection


Second Sunday After Epiphany
John 1:29-42 (NRSV)
Christ revealed as the Lamb of God

The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him and declared, "Here is the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! This is he of whom I said, 'After me comes a man who ranks ahead of me because he was before me.' I myself did not know him; but I came baptizing with water for this reason, that he might be revealed to Israel." And John testified, "I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it remained on him. I myself did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water said to me, 'He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain is the one who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.' And I myself have seen and have testified that this is the Son of God."


The next day John again was standing with two of his disciples, and as he watched Jesus walk by, he exclaimed, "Look, here is the Lamb of God!" The two disciples heard him say this, and they followed Jesus. When Jesus turned and saw them following, he said to them, "What are you looking for?" They said to him, "Rabbi" (which translated means Teacher), "where are you staying?" He said to them, "Come and see." They came and saw where he was staying, and they remained with him that day. It was about four o'clock in the afternoon. One of the two who heard John speak and followed him was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother. He first found his brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which is translated Anointed). He brought Simon to Jesus, who looked at him and said, "You are Simon son of John. You are to be called Cephas" (which is translated Peter).

Reflection
You will know him. Jesus...you will know him. He's the one on whom the Spirit descends upon and it stays. That's him!

Sometimes it's easy to get wrapped up in following someone else. It's easy to follow other humans who are not Jesus. We see people full of the Spirit of God, professing God's glory and honor, but they are sinful. We all fall into the trap of sin. We all sin. That's why we need the Messiah or Jesus. The Spirit stays with Jesus. Jesus lived this life without sin. But in the end, on the cross, Jesus became our sin. Rejected by the Father, Jesus died in our sin. But what he brought to life three days later, released all of us from the bondage of sin.

Death was to be the final punishment for sin. Jesus died that death. Died that death for you and me. You will know him. He is the one on whom the Spirit descends. Jesus, the only one to live life without sin, full of the Spirit, in love with his creation and his people, became that sacrificial Lamb for all sin.

What an amazing act! You will know him. Go and spend time with him. Follow Jesus. Sure, listen to those who speak the Word in truth, but know that they are not the One. They are servants of Jesus. We sin even though God uses us to proclaim the glory of Jesus. We sin, but are not in bondage to sin. We sin and turn from that sin to face a loving Father who corrects us, forgives us and frees us to walk home with Jesus.

So go tell your buddies! Look, here is the Lamb of God! We know him! The Spirit is with him. Hurry it up!!

Prayer
Lord, take me to that place where we sit down together and learn how to live that love you lived. Teach me, correct me, forgive me and lead me in the way you wish for me to go. --- Amen

No comments: