Saturday, January 29, 2011

January 29th - Reflection


Psalm 15 (NRSV)
Abiding on God's holy hill

O Lord, who may abide in your tent?
Who may dwell on your holy hill?

Those who walk blamelessly, and do what is right,
and speak the truth from their heart;
who do not slander with their tongue,
and do no evil to their friends,
nor take up a reproach against their neighbors;
in whose eyes the wicked are despised,
but who honor those who fear the Lord;
who stand by their oath even to their hurt;
who do not lend money at interest,
and do not take a bribe against the innocent.

Those who do these things shall never be moved.

Reflection
These are the highest hopes we could ever have. Our highest hope is freedom to be in the presence of God. For some it would be God's tent, church, temple, or even the sanctuary of this world. But we hope to be able to come into the presence of God whenever and wherever we need.

How should we act in God's presence? This psalm gives us some guidance on personal and social conduct. But to me, the most amazing aspect of this psalm is that there is this hope that we can be in God's presence.

And look how this took place. I know that I could never achieve the "goodness" either socially or personally to permit myself in the presence of God. But God in his "goodness" and his grace, sent Jesus to come into our presence instead. God's love is so vast that he moved his tent into the flesh of Jesus and came amongst us to be in our presence.

Our highest hope is freedom to be in the presence of God. God solved it for us. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, as I begin each day; as my eyes open; I know of your presence. You are with me each step of the way. With me not because of the "goodness" in me, but with me because of the "goodness" in you. Guide my steps this day and lead me in the path you wish for me to take...today...tomorrow...and forever. --- Amen

No comments: