Thursday, January 13, 2011

January 13th - Reflection


Galatians 1:6-12 (NRSV)
Paul's calling through a revelation of Christ

I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel not that there is another gospel, but there are some who are confusing you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should proclaim to you a gospel contrary to what we proclaimed to you, let that one be accursed! As we have said before, so now I repeat, if anyone proclaims to you a gospel contrary to what you received, let that one be accursed!

Am I now seeking human approval, or God's approval? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still pleasing people, I would not be a servant of Christ.

For I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that the gospel that was proclaimed by me is not of human origin; for I did not receive it from a human source, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ.

Reflection
It's not Paul's gospel, your gospel, or my gospel. It's about the grace of Jesus Christ. We can't desert the grace of Christ for the law. In doing so we desert God. The gospel of Jesus is about the grace of Jesus. Jesus' act to free us from sin, death, the devil and the law.

We can't free ourselves from the nets of the law by our actions. Jesus action has freed us from the law. And this freedom is acted out in Paul's conversion. Paul went from persecuting Christians for the law, to being freed from the law, to act in obedience to the call of Christ.

It's easy to twist around. It's easy to proclaim a gospel of origin from within myself. A gospel that frees me from my sin. But it's not about human gospel, it's about God's gospel. God's gospel that comes from God and convicts each one of us of sin. God's gospel that says that even though we are sinners, Jesus was sent into our world to take on our sin, to suffer for our sin, and to die for our sin. All so that we may live. It's not for me to pick and choose the sin that Jesus died for, it's God's choice.

Remain in the grace of God and refrain from running from the grace of God back to the law. We have free grace and faith. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, when I'm tempted to cheapen your grace with new rules and regulations, forgive me. When I'm tempted to cheapen your grace by ignoring my sin, forgive me. Lead me into the full glory of your grace. May I hear your call and be true to the nature of the salvation you paid such a high price for and come into the light of free grace and faith. --- Amen

No comments: