Thursday, March 17, 2011

March 17th - Reflection


2 Timothy 1:3-7 (NRSV)
Faith handed down from faithful mothers
I am grateful to God -- whom I worship with a clear conscience, as my ancestors did when I remember you constantly in my prayers night and day. Recalling your tears, I long to see you so that I may be filled with joy. I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that lived first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, lives in you. For this reason I remind you to rekindle the gift of God that is within you through the laying on of my hands; for God did not give us a spirit of cowardice, but rather a spirit of power and of love and of self discipline.

Reflection
Just think of the examples my Mom and Dad have set in my life. I remember seeing Mom in quiet moments daily reading her Bible. Her Bible even had small devotionals within it. I remember seeing this and then in later years I emulated her actions and found out the depth of the Word in the Bible and how Jesus comes to life in those words, Old and New Testament both. The gospel message springs forth even from the law.

And then hearing my Dad give a talk from the pulpit. The example Dad set of taking a chance and doing something outside the norm. This inspiration active in Dad gave me the strength to be willing to give sermons and speak in public. God took action with Dad's faith and Dad was an example of Jesus love for those in need.

Paul's passage brings back memories that have been taking place throughout time. Memories that God is alive and working and in our midst. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, as I live each moment with you, may I see you in the other and may you work in and through me. Help us to teach one another the message of the Cross and Salvation through Jesus amid your life and ours. --- Amen

No comments: