Saturday, March 05, 2011

March 5th - Reflection


Psalm 2 (NRSV)
The one begotten of God
Why do the nations conspire,
and the peoples plot in vain?
The kings of the earth set themselves,
and the rulers take counsel together,
against the Lord and his anointed, saying,
"Let us burst their bonds asunder,
and cast their cords from us."


He who sits in the heavens laughs;
the Lord has them in derision.
Then he will speak to them in his wrath,
and terrify them in his fury, saying,
"I have set my king on Zion, my holy hill."

I will tell of the decree of the Lord:
He said to me, "You are my son;
today I have begotten you.
Ask of me, and I will make the nations your heritage,
and the ends of the earth your possession.
You shall break them with a rod of iron,
and dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel."

Now therefore, O kings, be wise;
be warned, O rulers of the earth.
Serve the Lord with fear,
with trembling kiss his feet,
or he will be angry, and you will perish in the way;
for his wrath is quickly kindled.

Happy are all who take refuge in him.

Reflection
When you reflect on the rulers of this world past and present, they pale in comparison to the rule of God through Jesus Christ. As Jesus was set in Zion on God's holy hill, we come to see that we crucified the true ruler and king of this world. On that hill years ago and even to this day, we crucify Jesus with our selfish acts and thinking that we, you and I, are actually the rulers of our own domain.

Jesus from that hill on Zion, through his death for our sin, became and remains, and always was, the one true ruler of the world in the broadest since of the word.

With this in mind shouldn't all people serve the Lord with trembling and kiss his feet? Shouldn't we repent of our pride, arrogance and selfishness at the foot of that cross on that hill in Zion? In this repentance and in this belief and faith in Christ, comes forgiveness and new life.

Happy are all who take refuge in him. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, I come to you this day humbled by your gracious act that took place on the holy hill in Zion. Forgive me, and send me as your servant in your kingdom, that I may serve in the love you have graciously shown and given to me. --- Amen

No comments: