Sunday, March 06, 2011

March 6th - Reflection



Transfiguration of Our Lord
Matthew 17:1-9 (NRSV)

Christ revealed as God's beloved Son


Six days later, Jesus took with him Peter and James and his brother John and led them up a high mountain, by themselves. And he was transfigured before them, and his face shone like the sun, and his clothes became dazzling white. Suddenly there appeared to them Moses and Elijah, talking with him. Then Peter said to Jesus, "Lord, it is good for us to be here; if you wish, I will make three dwellings here, one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah." While he was still speaking, suddenly a bright cloud overshadowed them, and from the cloud a voice said, "This is my Son, the Beloved; with him I am well pleased; listen to him!" When the disciples heard this, they fell to the ground and were overcome by fear. But Jesus came and touched them, saying, "Get up and do not be afraid." And when they looked up, they saw no one except Jesus himself alone.

As they were coming down the mountain, Jesus ordered them, "Tell no one about the vision until after the Son of Man has been raised from the dead."


Reflection
It was a reunion of sorts. Or maybe it was an introduction to the divine by a unique circle of friends.

Moses had been exposed to the Light of God in the past. So much so that the people would request that he wear a veil to shade the glow from his face after his God encounters.

The mountain was the place. The place for Moses and the Ten Commandments and for Elijah in that "Still small voice." The mountain top was associated with revelations from God. And here the disciples would witness the voice of God and see the Light of God shine brightly.

When we see Moses we think of the "Law" and when we see Elijah we think of the "Prophets," so here we have the Law and the Prophets and the Son along with the disciples all in a mountain top experience. It was a reunion of sorts.

Throw in a bright cloud. Cast back images of the cloud that would lead the Israelites through the wilderness and you have a divine message, a divine revelation.

When we experience God's salvation in our lives, a cloud settles near us and the Holy Spirit is given to us to lead and direct us. We gain the focus of the Light of God and God takes us to new levels as we follow God's voice, God's Light and God's way. We would love to remain on this "high" but this is just the beginning.

Moses had so much more work to do after the Ten Commandments and the first cloud experience at the tabernacle. Elijah had so much more to do in God's purpose for his life after his mountain top experience. Jesus was to begin the passion and his gracious act on the cross for us. Likewise the ministry of the disciples was just beginning.

In this same manner when we are baptized we also hear those words that God is pleased. Just as God spoke on the mountain top this day about his Son. We are just at the beginning of the new life God will live in and through us at our baptism. At Jesus baptism God spoke those same words of pleasure in Jesus. And at our baptism God speaks the same words to you and me.

So, as mountain top experiences occur for you and me, may we relive our baptism and know the unique pleasure God has for us, yet be ready to move on boldly and confidently with the mission God has called for us to do...day by day...into eternity. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, you speak through the Law, through the Prophets, through Jesus and through your Word. I give you thanks for all times when your Word is clear and visible. Use me this day, in your way, to bring your message of love to the world you have given to me. Use me to act out the love you have shown throughout the ages that I may relive my baptism. I give you thanks that you draw my gaze and attention to Jesus. I give you thanks that you shine brightly his Light into my life. I give you thanks for Jesus loving act in me. Bring me this day to always feel the warmth of Jesus great Light on my face and deep within my spirit that Jesus may bring some warmth to another this day through me. --- Amen

No comments: