Thursday, October 13, 2011

October 13th - Reflection


3 John 9-12 (NRSV)
Imitate what is good

I have written something to the church; but Diotrephes, who likes to put himself first, does not acknowledge our authority. So if I come, I will call attention to what he is doing in spreading false charges against us. And not content with those charges, he refuses to welcome the friends, and even prevents those who want to do so and expels them from the church.

Beloved, do not imitate what is evil but imitate what is good. Whoever does good is from God; whoever does evil has not seen God. Everyone has testified favorably about Demetrius, and so has the truth itself. We also testify for him, and you know that our testimony is true.

Reflection
Our actions do speak about us. Even though we are sinners, our actions speak. But as sinners who listen and follow, we fall to our knees in repentence and confession. We know that our actions don't match our desires and we run to God. So, for the most part, our actions reflect the love of God in Christ Jesus. Not because of what we have done, but because of what God did through Jesus.

The unrepentant sinner however produces actions that remain consistant with sin. There is no need felt to come to God humbly and repent. The actions meet and combine with the sin.

Therefore this passage compels us and convinces us not it imitate evil but to imitate good. In this we humbly unite with God in repentance and grace and love for God and each other. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, as I look to a new day, I ask that you would lead me and guide my actions to be pleasing to you. And at the end of the day remind me of those actions that were not pleasing. I confess I am a sinner in need of your grace and forgiveness. Forgive me and make me new day by day that I may please you more and more each day. --- Amen

No comments: