Wednesday, October 26, 2011

October 26th - Reflection


Matthew 19:16-22 (NRSV)
Keeping the commandments
Then someone came to him and said, "Teacher, what good deed must I do to have eternal life?" And he said to him, "Why do you ask me about what is good? There is only one who is good. If you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments." He said to him, "Which ones?" And Jesus said, "You shall not murder; You shall not commit adultery; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false witness; Honor your father and mother; also, You shall love your neighbor as yourself." The young man said to him, "I have kept all these; what do I still lack?" Jesus said to him, "If you wish to be perfect, go, sell your possessions, and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me." When the young man heard this word, he went away grieving, for he had many possessions.

Reflection
A question to Jesus, our Teacher, about eternal life. This guy thinks he has done most everything to obtain eternal life. However, I wonder if Jesus is speaking to this man on his own terms. Is Jesus trying to point out that the way to eternal life is not through the perfect obedience to the law but through Jesus?

It seems Jesus easily finds this man's weak point. But how do we know that the man didn't after a few days of thought go out and do what Jesus commanded? Even if he did, the Teacher taught a teaching of sacrifice and love and a joyful desire to follow the law.

Sure, we aim towards perfection. But we only see perfection in Jesus. And that's plenty for me to keep my sights on the one I need to sight. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, keep my focus on your life, your grace, you acts of love and your teachings that I may please you each day. Show me how and when to love my neighbor throughout this day. --- Amen

No comments: