Wednesday, October 19, 2011

October 19th - Reflection


Matthew 17:22-27 (NRSV)
Jesus pays the temple tax
As they were gathering in Galilee, Jesus said to them, "The Son of Man is going to be betrayed into human hands, and they will kill him, and on the third day he will be raised." And they were greatly distressed.

When they reached Capernaum, the collectors of the temple tax came to Peter and said, "Does your teacher not pay the temple tax?" He said, "Yes, he does." And when he came home, Jesus spoke of it first, asking, "What do you think, Simon? From whom do kings of the earth take toll or tribute? From their children or from others?" When Peter said, "From others," Jesus said to him, "Then the children are free. However, so that we do not give offense to them, go to the sea and cast a hook; take the first fish that comes up; and when you open its mouth, you will find a coin; take that and give it to them for you and me."

Reflection
A perplexing passage to me. The passage is opened with Jesus focus on his mission. Jesus confessed the betrayal, crucifixion and resurrection. Just sort of blurted it out it seems. Some fantastic things had just taken place prior to this passage. One of which was the Transfiguration, Jesus appearing with Moses and Elijah. A high point spiritually and physically for Jesus and the disciples. But as we continue it becomes obvious that the ministry of Jesus is now one of withdrawal from the people. Jesus returns from the high point to the people in suffering. So we top it off with a Temple Tax that Jesus really didn't even owe.

But this wasn't about a tax. This was about the questions of the leaders of who Jesus was. Jesus was a loyal Jew. He worshipped with the Jews and studied with them even as a child. But the Roman government was looking for taxes. So Jesus was willing to identify himself with his people. So Jesus followed with a miracle of the coin from the fish in order not to offend anyone.

It's still a perplexing passage to me. The fit into my life is somewhat peculiar. But this is one of those passages that pick up meaning the more I reflect upon it and open my ears and eyes to God's Word spoken through others and through life. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, sometimes life is perplexing. I know the law yet don't understand all of it's meaning in my life. Help me to be obey the government laws for the good of all people in order that I do not offend anyone. Help me to stand up for our government and the laws for the good of all people. When I need to be involved in change use me as a spokesperson for change. When I need to be involved with the enforcement of the law, use me to enforce the law. Lead me in your will and your way... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: