Monday, May 27, 2013

May 27th Reflection by Bill Lynch


1 Kings 8:22-23, 41-43
22 Then Solomon stood before the altar of the Lord in the presence of all the assembly of Israel, and spread out his hands to heaven. 23 He said, "O Lord, God of Israel, there is no God like you in heaven above or on earth beneath, keeping covenant and steadfast love for your servants who walk before you with all their heart,
41 "Likewise when a foreigner, who is not of your people Israel, comes from a distant land because of your name 42 —for they shall hear of your great name, your mighty hand, and your outstretched arm—when a foreigner comes and prays toward this house, 43 then hear in heaven your dwelling place, and do according to all that the foreigner calls to you, so that all the peoples of the earth may know your name and fear you, as do your people Israel, and so that they may know that your name has been invoked on this house that I have built.

Reflection
Solomon was standing before God. Standing as before the King. Yes, Solomon was an earthly king, and he would have people stand in his presence as he sit upon the throne, but here Solomon is of no compare to God the Father and King of all the universe. So, Solomon was standing in prayer before God. Standing before a God that keeps his Word. Standing before a God that is Love. We stand in the presence of God and willingly, lovingly seek to do the will that he would have us do that would please him.

I come as an alien. I'm not privileged nor worthy to be in God's presence. But God stretches out his arms through time and space and folds me into his care. I come before God because of what I have heard. I come in faith and hope of the salvation that he has offered in Jesus.  I come before God in prayer. And in my coming to God I receive the hug of my life.

Prayer
Lord, hear my prayer, as I stand before you today. Forgive me and fill me full of your love. Send me in that love to love those you give to me today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: